How to remove dud?

This is a discussion on How to remove dud? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My father and I were out at the range when a WWB 9mm round failed to fire in his XDM 9. It locked up the ...

Thread: How to remove dud?

How to remove dud?

My father and I were out at the range when a WWB 9mm round failed to fire in his XDM 9. It locked up the slide, but I managed to reach in from the magwell and release the extractor so I could break the gun down. From what I can see, the bullet never made it out of the casing, but managed to somehow jam in the breech. This happened over a month ago but I'm just now getting to it. He and I are planning another range day so I'd like to get this taken care of sooner than later. Any pointers or advice on how to get it out of there?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Tap it out with a dowel rod. It takes two minutes tops.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Tap it out with a dowel rod. It takes two minutes tops.
    I was planning on giving it a few good whacks with a drift tomorrow....any worries on setting the round off (if that's even possible)?

When you say the round is "locked up in the slide" do you mean the round is unfired, yet fully chambered? There's no way to set off the primer if you tap it out with a dowel from the muzzle end of the barrel.....just be sure to discard the round and check the barrel for any damage. To be on the safe side.....when you tap out the round with that dowel, please don't be looking down the barrel. I'd point the barrel off to the side just in case something unexpected happens.....

Is there a cartridge stuck in the chamber? Or a bullet stuck in the barrel?

Was there any noise or recoil when the round failed to fire?

You mentioned that you broke the gun down - I take it that you mean the barrel is separated from the slide. Is this correct?

Austin

Just to clarify: No bullet in the barrel, just a complete cartridge in the chamber. The striker did hit the primer, it has a normal size dimple on it....just no bang. Austin, yes I disassembled the gun and took the barrel out of the slide.

I've had a few rounds lock up slides in the past,usually reloads,I take a flat blade screwdriver and insert between the slide and barrel chamber,there is usualle a place that allows it,then I pry it back and voila unstuck slide,works the same way on an AR15 bolt,you can see the 1/2 moon notch at the front,if the bolt is stuck insert a tool and pry it back
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Divorce?

Dear John letter?

You may be able to pry the brass loose with a screwdriver against the rim of the casing - but powder will dump everywhere, and the bullet will still be stuck. So - yes, tap it from the muzzle end. Lay the back end of the barrel on a flat surface. The primer worked or else the bullet wouldn't be stuck - so don't worry about setting it off again. The powder itself is quite flammable, but not explosive unless completely confined. The bullet won't be going anywhere except the direction you tap it (back towards the chamber).

Austin

I've done this many ways. Ideally with a punch rod. From experience it can be done with a knife or multitool (provided I'm picturing the right thing here).

Setting the round off, I'm not sure if that would happen but you could always take precautions. Eye pro, gloves and other protective gear if your worried about it. I've pulled rounds out of hand guns, shot runs, machine guns to include the M2 50 cal with a knife or pliers. As long as you don't have a hot barrel then you are probably all set to just pull it out. A hot barrel is another story but I don't think that is what your asking about here.

Links