Boy, has society changed

Boy, has society changed

This is a discussion on Boy, has society changed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; True story. Back in the 70s, while growing up in Upper Michigan, we actually got on the school bus with rifles (in cases) and ammo ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Boy, has society changed

Boy, has society changed

True story. Back in the 70s, while growing up in Upper Michigan, we actually got on the school bus with rifles (in cases) and ammo in order to take Hunter's Safety after school. 40+ kids on a bus with guns & ammo for 45 minutes! We even kept the guns AND ammo in our lockers all day and went to the baseball field (that doubled for the range) for class. No "accidents" ever happened the entire time I was enrolled. I can't believe we were able to do stuff like that back then...LOL Can you image what would happened today?
    dV8r, mook012, atctimmy and 1 others like this.

That was in the "real" America days.......... We now live in the "new and improved" America.......
    vardog, ccw9mm, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Wow, I wish I could have grown up like that...
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Ditto I can remember taking everything from a 12 ga to a deer rifle to high school because I would be going hunting afterwards at someone elses house.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Ditto I can remember taking everything from a 12 ga to a deer rifle to high school because I would be going hunting afterwards at someone elses house.
    ^^^Ditto^^^
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yep. When I was in high school (graduated in 1982) it wasn't unusual for someone to have a rifle or shotgun in the gun rack of their truck, having gone hunting that morning before school. Never had a gun incident in my high school while I was there. And believe it or not, this was in California (San Joaquin valley).
    Last edited by blanco64; January 29th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
    vardog and mano3 like this.

Re: Boy, has society changed

Grew up in Northern Michigan and saw the same thing as the OP. Never an incident. That certainly won't happen in the new pussified America since nobody is accountable for their own actions anymore. Blame society for the idiocy of a few.

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs
    vardog likes this.

Paintball guns were banned from school campuses when I was in high school. That was the day that I knew it would never turn into a school sport.

I remember guns in gun racks in Highschool, not me though I couldn't afford the rack let alone the gun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I remeber the .22 shooting lessons at teh YMCA summer camp, at age 9
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Those days all fell to the wayside when being responsible for your actions disappeared.
    vardog, sauerpuss and bmcgilvray like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    During hunting season it was not unusual to see several rifles and shotguns in the principal’s office.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

RKM
    I'm only 26, and I remember Gun Club in middle school, where a teacher would bring in unloaded guns ans let us all handle them and we went over different types of firearms, safety and other things. I'm not really aware of what the laws were regarding to firearms in school at that time, but I can be assured that nothing like that would be allowed today. And this was just back in the late 90's.

VIP Member
    I went to high school in southern middle TN, and even in the mid 1990s, the students had their deer rifles in their vehicles and would go hunting with the teachers after school. I imagine a lot of that still goes on in the more rural areas where "kids with guns" doesn't equate to panicking and calling the SWAT team. The local newspaper always runs pictures of kids with their kills - the four-legged or feathery kind.
    vardog and sauerpuss like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

In the mid-70's I was a member of an NCAA Smallbore Rifle Team (*last year's National Champion BTW!). We would regularly pick-up our rifles at the armory in the afternoon and take them to our DORM ROOMS overnight so we could all be ready for an early morning bus/plane departure to compete in an away-match the following day. Our hard cases read "Anschutz", along with "University of Kentucky" in big, bold letters across the side. We, nor anyone else, thought any differently about seeing us walking across campus with GUNS than seeing the UK Tennis Team carrying their rackets or the UK Golf Team carrying their bags.

The basketball 'Cats, however, attracted MUCH more attention because of their celebrity-status & because, on average, they were ~12"...taller.
    vardog, Mecread and sauerpuss like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links