Colt N Model .25

Colt N Model .25

This is a discussion on Colt N Model .25 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From what I could gather, this is a Colt N Model 1908 'Vest Pocket'. I put it on lay away today and I was just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Colt N Model .25

Colt N Model .25

From what I could gather, this is a Colt N Model 1908 'Vest Pocket'. I put it on lay away today and I was just curious if anybody was familiar with this model and could tell me anything regarding it's value and/or if it's a potential collectors item.

It has a different grip than the ones I've seen online.
    bmcgilvray and pgrass101 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I would consider it a collector item now. Not for value, but, it's an interesting piece and would sit in a display case and never be carried.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Nice. I have a 32 auto rimless smokeless 1903 with pearl handles but it doesnt see much daylight.

I really like the over all look to it. I'll probably run one mag through it and it'll just sit up. I've never had any 'unique' handguns and am looking forward to this being my first one.

Its serial # is 2490xx - I'm just trying to figure out if the price I'm paying is high, low, or reasonable. Total is $400 (discounted cuz of my repeat business) at my LGS.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    From what I could gather, this is a Colt N Model 1908 'Vest Pocket'. I put it on lay away today and I was just curious if anybody was familiar with this model and could tell me anything regarding it's value and/or if it's a potential collectors item.

It has a different grip than the ones I've seen online.
    There's a little info here, Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 ACP Pistol - Coltautos.com
    bmcgilvray and blitzburgh like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks for the link. Is there any significance to it with the different style grip than the other pictures I've seen or no?

Administrator
    It's a great little fun gun. You'll enjoy shooting it. Believe it or not they feed and function really well for such a small semi.
    That is the difference that hand fitting makes rather than just being tossed together from an assortment of binned parts.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Thanks for the link. Is there any significance to it with the different style grip than the other pictures I've seen or no?
    Not that I'm aware of Sir, the stocks on the 1908 you pictured, appear to be the original style.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The grips appear correct and normal. The grips were changed from black hard rubber to checkered walnut in the mid/late 1920s so the Colt Model 1908 shown in your photos may be wearing its original grips. A serial number could help fix a year of production.

The Colt Model 1908 .25 is a very high quality automatic pistol of a proven John Browning design. It's all forged steel, bullet-proof, reliable and very sturdy. It's a good-lookin' little runt too with it's deep blue finish accented by color case hardened trigger, safety lever, and grip safety. These pistols benefited from the fine fit and finish work that Colt produced as standard back in the day. I've owned a couple, have one now, and have found that the little buggers never fail to feed and fire with never once a hang-up. That's probably with less than 2000 rounds fired all told. Still, it's an enviable reputation of dependability when compared with some pistols seen on today's market. I handload for the .25 ACP so have perhaps shot mine more than the average person is prone to do.

The cartridge is weenie in the extreme so don't expect miracles. The .22 Long Rifle when fired from similar vest pocket pistols is weenie too. Don't be fooled into thinking the .22 Long Rifle is more powerful than the .25 ACP for it is not when fired from the stub barrel typical of these type pistols. If I had to carry a tiny vest pocket automatic I'd much rather have the .25 over the .22, mostly for the reliability aspects. Accurate shooting at distance is challenging as the sights are rudimentary and also tiny. The pistol itself is one of the smaller .25s so has little to hang onto while firing. It's entertaining to try to shoot for group at extended distances. I shoot at a tree trunk on our place at 100 yards on occasion and gain occasional hits when shooting from a rest. Once shot at a target in a plowed field at 350 paces. Could see tiny dust puffs hitting all around it in a 50 yard circle but was unable to use the observation of the bullet strikes to bring the shots dependably closer. Nothing like 50 yard groups at 350 yards to give one confidence in an arm's long range capabilities.

Colt made over 400,000 of them so there are scads about, enough for those interested to pick one up reasonably. $150-$250 should buy any example with worn finish but first rate mechanical function. Many have been carried loose in a trouser pocket, jangling around, sharing the other contents of the pocket. Such carry played havoc on the original finish but didn't hurt the mechanics a bit. Don't pay more than $400 unless the pistol is a "condition rarity." The Model 1908 is frequently found in pleasing condition, with little wear, and sometimes with its original box as many were purchased and put up in bureau drawers. Don't be drawn into paying a high price for one that displays even a fairly nice appearance as there are a jillion more like it out there. $650-$800 will buy absolutely new-in-the-box. High condition Model 1908s are not as uncommon as other collectible pre-war Colt models. Asking prices for these pistols on GunBroker are mostly unrealistic.

Here's the one that lives here, produced in 1922. The Colt Model 1908, along with the Browning Baby represent .25 ACP self-defense at its "best." "Best" being awfully subjective.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Fantastic post, Bryan.
    QKShooter likes this.

Thanks a lot for the info, bmcgilvray! Very informative. Unfortunately, my LGS doesn't have the box for it, but I suppose I can live with that.

Though it sounds like I might be over paying at $400 - hmm..

OD*
    Though it sounds like I might be over paying at $400 - hmm..
    You can't pay too much for an old Colt or Winchester, you can only pay too soon.
    bmcgilvray and RKflorida like this.

Absolutely! There are some firearms around here that "grew" to be a value. Sort of "pre-paid appreciation" if you will. Hah!
    OD* and blitzburgh like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks guys! I feel much more comfortable about this purchase now. As soon as I seen it, I liked the older look of it and checked out it's serial number, seems to be made in 1920. Glad to finally get my hands on something more unique than a Glock, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links