Trigger Safety - Not Sure I Get It

This is a discussion on Trigger Safety - Not Sure I Get It within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trigger safeties like on the Glocks and the Springfield XD: It seems somewhat useless, since the safety is on the trigger. Anything that would have ...

Trigger safeties like on the Glocks and the Springfield XD: It seems somewhat useless, since the safety is on the trigger. Anything that would have pulled a trigger in the first place will also depress/deactivate this safety too, won't it?

The only thing I can think of is that it stops the trigger from rubbing against the holster as it's inserted, since deactivation requires direct pressure on the trigger, not a lateral brush against it.

Is that the reason for a safety that works just like pulling the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    Trigger safeties like on the Glocks and the Springfield XD: It seems somewhat useless, since the safety is on the trigger. Anything that would have pulled a trigger in the first place will also depress/deactivate this safety too, won't it?

YEP Sure will

The only thing I can think of is that it stops the trigger from rubbing against the holster as it's inserted, since deactivation requires direct pressure on the trigger, not a lateral brush against it.

trigger should not be rubbing holster if it is you need a different holster
    Is that the reason for a safety that works just like pulling the trigger?

If you are worried about this kind of safety pass on these style guns and go manual safety

They wont go off unless you pull the trigger or manage to snag the trigger on something its not likely to happen if you have good Firearms handling skills anyways

Bud, I think he understand's where your coming from, but he wonders why include the safety at all if proper firearms handling is all that stands between safety and a ND
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Well why ask why

because people are not used to having a semi auto with out a safety no other reason and to keep the gunmakers from getting sued

Wheel guns have not had safetys

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Revo got a safety ???????????? -------

Senior Moderator
    The revolver safety is in a long heavy trigger pull - something like 10 pounds or more and a long pull. A Glock has a 5# pull and short stroke. As Massod Ayoob says, "The good thing about a Glock is it's easy to shoot; the bad thing about a Glock is it's easy to shoot."

IIRC the trigger safety is not to keep the trigger from inadvertently being pulled, but contributes to blocking a discharge if the gun is dropped.

The XD's have a secondary safety as well ------> grip safety. You can pull the trigger all day long on an XD and the hammer will not fall unless you also depress the grip safety (by having a good solid grip on the pistol grip) = better design than Glock (in my humble opinion).

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TireFryer View Post
    The XD's have a secondary safety as well ------> grip safety. You can pull the trigger all day long on an XD and the hammer will not fall unless you also depress the grip safety (by having a good solid grip on the pistol grip) = better design than Glock (in my humble opinion).
    I like Glocks better, not sure why, but I have to admit that the grip safety on the XD was a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    Bud, I think he understand's where your coming from, but he wonders why include the safety at all if proper firearms handling is all that stands between safety and a ND

You got it. Although to be honest it's a combination of nervous and don't get the concept.

The more that I go to the range and handle guns the less nervous I am about the XD style safety. At least there are two steps. Glocks, I don't know. I can see holstering the gun, trigger catches on a clip on the holster and BOOM!

I like the idea of holstering the XD with fingertips on the sides of the grip with no pressure on the grip safety to be sure of no AD. Trigger incidents will not arise - hopefully...

Carrying a Glock is a great way to enhance your "weapon consciousness"! You get to be very careful about re-holstering, etc.. Not for everyone, though.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Carrying a Glock is a great way to enhance your "weapon consciousness"! You get to be very careful about re-holstering, etc.. Not for everyone, though.
    I second that! That's honest, true, and accurate.

I am carrying my p95 on occasion with a cheapie Mikes Nylon shoulder rig, since it's colder here, I can get away with it. I am saving for a P99C walther, which is much smaller, so I don't really want to spend a bunch on a holster for a gun I probably won't carry after I get that, and anyway....

My Ruger P95 is a decock only gun, meaning, no manual safety, exposed hammer, double action trigger for first shot, (Which is quite smooth, by the way, maybe it's a not common on these) and when I first got the gun, I was quite worried about the whole "decocking" thing, chamber a round, pull a lever down that lets the hammer snap forward? Scary, but I got used to it, and I tested it, pointing at the ground, guess what, gun never went off.

The other thing I wasn't crazy about with no manual safety was the fact that yes, if the trigger snagged on anything holstering it, the gun would go bang, and I definitely didn't like that. My solution when reholstereing?

I simply slide my index finger BEHIND the trigger when I'm holstering, that way I can feel if there's anything snagging it, and another thing I can do on this gun, since it has an exposed hammer, is keep my thumb on it, and if the hammer moves, I'll feel it.

If there's enough room to do that on a Glock, I don't know, never fired one. But I would think you could carefully place maybe the tip of your finger there anyway, to feel trigger motion if you're not ramming the gun into the holster. That's my .05 cents. Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

The purpose on the glock and XD safety is to prevent the striker from striking the primer if the gun is dropped. In the case of the Glock, the striker is "half cocked" and the engagement of the trigger safety effectively brings it to full cock. This is technically double action but of a special kind. On the XD, the striker is fully cocked and the trigger safety is IIRC a mechanical block which would prevent a drop firing.

They're not manual safeties in the way we think of them on say a 1911. They're drop safeties. Or inertial strike preventers.

I'm a BIG fan of the XD Grip safety for that reason. I insert the barrel in the holster, and change gri slightly to disengage the grip safety before completing the movement.

Wheel guns have not had safetys
    I have a revolver with a safety

(and I'm not talking about keeping finger off the trigger, brain, etc. but a real thumb safety).

Wayne

Links