An odd question about becoming a police officer

This is a discussion on An odd question about becoming a police officer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it possible to complete the training and become a police officer without actually having to serve? Here's why I ask 1) You receive very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An odd question about becoming a police officer

An odd question about becoming a police officer

Is it possible to complete the training and become a police officer without actually having to serve?
    Here's why I ask
    1) You receive very valuable legal and situational training
    2) You may be able to legally carry some places that a "civilian" cannot

I would seriously consider becoming a police officer just for those benefits. Provided that I don't have to join a force. Is this possible at all, or am I just thinking ahead of myself?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

2. Remove Ads

i think ya might be thinking ahead of yourself but people who are better in the know will pipe up and i will be interested in the response

plus it takes awhile to get though all the training

VIP Member
    I can't answer the question, but I can propose a problem. How would you be a police officer without being on a police force? Even special officers and others who do not serve fulltime or for pay still take an oath and are part of the police force. It seems to me that a police officer who is not on the force is an oxymoron.

I also don't see why any police force would put you through their academy for no return. You probably have to agree to serve for a period of time before going to the academy. I guess it is possible you could pay your own way through an academy, but where would the benefit be in that?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    IMO no one gets any of the benefits without serving.!!

Quid pro quo.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am assuming that you can enroll yourself into the police acadamy and pay for it yourself, at least you could years ago in Texas.

But in Texas as I understand it your are only a Sworn Peace Officer once you actually go to work at a state or local agency that has the authority to employ someone in that capacity, ie municipality, housing authority, school district, etc. As far as I understand Texas code refers to Peace Officer, not Police Officer, and those peace officers are exempt from some of the regulations.

So the training is possible to get, but not the exemption from the restrictions unless your actually sworn by an agency.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for the responces guys!
    Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to "beat the system" in any unwholesome way. But, as we know, there are certain benefits of being an officer of the law that private citizens don't have. I do believe that there's a nation-wide permit to carry if you're an active or retired officer?

I would not be against paying for all the training myself. The benefits far outweigh the monetary cost IMHO. And perhaps you're ever put to trial based on an unfortunate event, your defense lawyer saying, "He's been trained as an officer" may very well act in your favor.
    I look forward to any additional comments.
    Nick

Alot of colleges , especially in rural areas offer some type of

Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET)
    This is used to certify Officers for smaller Depts. and civilians
    trying to get on. It can last anywhere from 3 months to 8 months depending on the state requirements and whether are not someone is attending full time or part time. You can be sponsored by a Dept. at no/min. charge to you or ... if your acting independently, you will have to incur all costs.
    I used to instruct at one of my local Comm. Colleges years ago.
    Hope this helps answer your question.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Have you considered becoming a reserve officer or deputy? In my area they go through the training and are real police officers but work things like football games and a weekend a month. They are called up if a real emergency happens.

VIP Member
    FL LEOs sound if I am wrong, but I believe you go to training/school on your own nickle to get certified and then are eligible to get hired by a sheriff's office. I don't know how it works for municipal/city departments though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps best to ask about how it works in your state. I know in some being hired is the only way to be certified , therefore considered an officer. Also those who do not retire out do not get to maintain carry status.
    Finally, in court may prove worse, as PD may be held to a higher standard of restraint. (better trained in H 2 H , defensive skills than average citizens)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In order to carry nationwide under the LEOSA, you must be a FULL TIME PAID officer employed by a GOVERNMENT AGENCY, ie city, village, county, state. University and other cops don't count, even though the training is the same. This means you actually have to serve and do your job. Reserves and PT doesn't count for the LEOSA.

Be a cop for the right reason, not because you want to circumvent the law and carry anywhere in the nation. Do the profession a favor and stay out if that is your intentions.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    In order to carry nationwide under the LEOSA, you must be a FULL TIME PAID officer employed by a GOVERNMENT AGENCY, ie city, village, county, state. University and other cops don't count, even though the training is the same. This means you actually have to serve and do your job. Reserves and PT doesn't count for the LEOSA.

Be a cop for the right reason, not because you want to circumvent the law and carry anywhere in the nation. Do the profession a favor and stay out if that is your intentions.
    Whoah there, calm down. I'm just trying to work smarter, not harder. What's wrong with trying to acquire good additional training and perhaps gain some associated benefits? If you get an english degree in college, does that mean you have to now write a book? No, of course not, but you'd be well trained to do so.
    Nick

So you want to exploit a profession of public trust so you can circumvent gun control laws, but not have to put your ass on the line and risk your life? I certainly don't want you ever wearing a badge.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    So you want to exploit a profession of public trust so you can circumvent gun control laws, but not have to put your ass on the line and risk your life? I certainly don't want you ever wearing a badge.
    NO. I do not want to "exploit a profession of public trust" You're somehow getting the idea that I want YOU or the government to pay for me to get this training. I want to pay for it to obtain the training and benefits. I don't see how this is explotation at all
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    NO. I do not want to "exploit a profession of public trust" You're somehow getting the idea that I want YOU or the government to pay for me to get this training. I want to pay for it to obtain the training and benefits. I don't see how this is explotation at all
    It's the gain the benefits part. You may want to define what benefits you may gain. I think that there's an impression you want to get the Nationwide Carry type of benefit which you wouldn't get unless serving full time anyway.

I, Too, have wondered about a citizen's academy or taking the police academy but not serving. Makes one a better witness and it's good training anyway. But the LEO Carry privledge is NOT part of my interest, and now that I'm older with more commitments, I couldn't go / pass weven if it was available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links