1911 Help

This is a discussion on 1911 Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was swapping out the plastic mainspring housing of my RIA 1911 for a metal MSH the other day, and I guess the sear spring ...

Thread: 1911 Help

1911 Help

I was swapping out the plastic mainspring housing of my RIA 1911 for a metal MSH the other day, and I guess the sear spring came unseated in the process because when I put it back together, the hammer wouldn't stay back (and thats what the internet seems to say). I tried to take the thumb safety off so I can get that spring seated, but I'm having no luck. What are your tips and tricks for taking one of these dang ambi safeties off?

I'm actually considering taking it to a smith to install a non-ambi safety and night sights, but I'd rather figure it out myself first.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What you might want to try first is to try to swing the grip safety up and sometimes you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently get the sear spring tab back into its slot in the frame and then slide the mainspring housing back up.

To get the thumb safety out you need to pull up on it at the same time that you click it up and down and it should just come out.

But, if that doesn't work....you might have to take the sear spring all that way out because the thumb safety will not usually come out if the hammer is fully forward.

Though some WILL come out if the hammer is at half cock or safety cock but, some will not come out unless the hammer is fully cocked.

And it sounds like your sear spring is preventing that from happening.

Absolutely get rid of the doggone Ambidextrous thumb safety if you don't need it.

In you scenario I don't know exactly how the two sides of the ambi safety are linked inside the frame but if its a tab and slot connection it could be tight but, you should be able to get it to separate.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, I got the safety off, but it broke in the process. It broke right where the peg meets the thumb switch, and it does look like a cast part. Looking at the remnants, the peg of the one half of the ambi safety is too big to even mesh with the notch in the other half, so I think they must've used a freaking vice to put this together.

I'm looking at Wilson Bulletproof safeties now, but my 1911 has a protrusion on the right side of the gun that went over the right thumb safety (I think it's the sear pin?). How hard will that be to replace if I go for the non ambi safety?

Links