Looking for a 1st rifle for my daughters, what is a good and inexpensive .22?

This is a discussion on Looking for a 1st rifle for my daughters, what is a good and inexpensive .22? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey there, My daughters are a little young yet to get started shooting now (2 and 3) but I wanted to get them a. 22 ...

Thread: Looking for a 1st rifle for my daughters, what is a good and inexpensive .22?

Looking for a 1st rifle for my daughters, what is a good and inexpensive .22?

Hey there,
    My daughters are a little young yet to get started shooting now (2 and 3) but I wanted to get them a. 22 rifle soon to have for when they're old enough to get into the sport. What age is a good age to start them? I was wondering what a good and inexpensive choice would be? I like the Ruger 10/22 or the Marlin. 22 youth but they are both a little pricey.

Also I like the idea of a single shot to learn on, but somebody told me about a mag fed .22 which uses a magazine but when the mag is out it works as a single shot. I'd be willing to pay a little more for that feature.

So if you know of a good brand/model please list the price as well if you know it off hand.

Thanks for the help,
    gNg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Cricket makes a single shot .22 that is kid sized and usually costs around $100.00.

They will probably grow out of it around 10-11 though.

Their maturity will determine when they are ready. Some kids are ready around 5 some need to wait.

I bought mine a ruger 10/22 with the tactical adjustable stock so that it would fit them.. I have not had any problem with it being a semi-automatic.

The cricket,single shot,and good to teach them safe gun handling at a young age,it's never too young to start teaching gun safety,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

How old? Whatever age she can stand, hold the rifle, work the bolt, squeeze the trigger, and understand verbal commands.
    In other words the sooner the better, within reason.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not in favor of the single-shot rifle due to its limitations. Any decent .22 repeating rifle can be loaded singlely. No upgrading needed. Beginning age depends on the kids.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd say go with a high quality lever gun. Marlin and Henry maybe? I think its a cool idea to get a very high quality gun at such a young age. They can hold onto it forever, and it becomes very sentimental. Something to keep in the family.

Lever or bolt gun with tubular magazine. Can shoot 22, 22 long and 22LR out of the same gun. The cycling of the lever or the bolt will slow them down enough to aim properly etc.. and it teaches them how to load. I bought the single round shooter and my daughter quickly out grew it. I then bought a semi auto and I had to constantly remind her to slow down and focus on the fundamentals and she had a hard time (at first) loading the magazine.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Links