Semi-auto rifles for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Semi-auto rifles for Home Defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems to me that increasingly people are considering semi-auto rifles for HD. Of course, the AR-15 is very popular. Today I had a chance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Semi-auto rifles for Home Defense

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

It seems to me that increasingly people are considering semi-auto rifles for HD. Of course, the AR-15 is very popular. Today I had a chance to shoot my AR-15 carbine along side my friend's Hi-Point .45 ACP carbine. Without doubt my 5.56 rounds have greater long range (100 yds plus) effectiveness. However, I was very impressed with my friend's Hi-Point. The recoil on the Hi-Point was very soft. However, despite this, I found that muzzle lift on my AR-15 was much less than the Hi-Point due to the compensator. We shot at 25 yards, well within HD parameters and they were equally accurate. Overall, if you look at the price differential ($1,000+ for the AR-15 vs. <$500 for the Hi-Point) I think the Hi-Point could be a very good choice for the budget minded. Also, if you already shoot a .45, you simplify your ammunition inventory. I'd heard that the Hi-Point has some cycling issues, and we only put about 50 rounds through it, but it operated flawlessly. Personally, I prefer the AR....but.

Just thought I'd pass this along to others looking at an HD semi-auto rifle especially given the scarcity of AR-15s these days.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Interesting, 114 views but no comments. Was this too off-topic or just not of interest? I would have liked to hear opinions, even if just about the topic itself.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

I would assume the AR-15 has been popular due to ammo cost (at least before the latest price escalation) but I'm not sure. Never had a lot of interest in rifles until recently so I have never really researched ammo prices other than .40 and .45. So, I may be way off base. I must admit the cost of the Hi-point option does make me curious enough to do some research. Would love to hear more from the more knowledgeable rifle base here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthertz View Post
    I would assume the AR-15 has been popular due to ammo cost (at least before the latest price escalation) but I'm not sure. Never had a lot of interest in rifles until recently so I have never really researched ammo prices other than .40 and .45. So, I may be way off base. I must admit the cost of the Hi-point option does make me curious enough to do some research. Would love to hear more from the more knowledgeable rifle base here.
    Currently, in my area, .45 and 5.56/.223 is very similar in cost. But the platform cost between the Hi-Point and any AR makes this interesting.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

Has that always been the case or has there been a significant cost difference in the .223/5.56 and the .45 say 12 months ago?

...I would be more apt to buy the Beretta Storm .45 caliber...more reliable than the HiPoint brand...midway between the two choices in cost...

The rifle would be easier to shoot accurately with a higher capacity magazine. The old saying goes "You use a handgun to fight to your rifle".
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

While you may be able to shoot both accurately, best of breed AR-15 ammunition will be much more effective. The other big advantage of the AR-15 is that it is not proprietary, and many mfgs make parts, so no matter what happens you are much more likely to be able to get parts.

Colt, BCM make high quality but reasonably priced rifles. Getting one these days is another story.

-john

Personally, I view the AR15/AK47 as a utility weapon. Can be used for sport, hunting, home defense, etc. I really enjoy shooting my AR15.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Yup, my AR-15 is very much part of my home defense package. I I have 90 rounds of Hornady TAP on tap for home invasion scenarios.

After that, I have plenty of FMJ's for the Zombie Apocolypse.

Okay, I think Zombie references are lame... Let's just say, I have plenty for when SHTF.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ive never owned an AR 15 or the like. Other than knowing what they were in general terms and seeing some of my friends but never shooting one I for some reason just never thought about getting one. My wife was and still is good with a 12 ga pump for HD or a pistol in 9mm or 45. I hunted more then and rifles were like 243 bolt action etc for deer.

Not due to the current hoopla about them because I dont see a ban coming on them or the mags I have been sort of wishing I had gotten one or something similar in the past.

Reason? My wife is older now as am I. She can still go shot for shot with the shotty with about anybody but I can see the recoil hurts her more with 00 buck though shes a tough ole gal and wont flinch or say anything. If for no other reason having a AR with 30 rounds in the house ready would be kinder to shoot for her.
    I dont see us getting one now due to the price thing. Maybe a highpoint variant or a Glock 19 etc with one or two of the 30 rd mags just to have here in the house. But that is a ways off financially. Other firearm purchases right now are more pressing.
    Ah well hindsight is 20/20
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I prefer my AR with an Eotech as first choice for HD. As to the Hi Point carbine, I have one in 9mm and it is great fun to shoot. I think I paid something like $275 dollars for it new. I mounted a Bushnell T25 red dot on it. I don't doubt that it would be effective at CQB especially in the home.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Senior Moderator
    Our HD long guns are M1 carbines, they are light recoiling and easy to handle.
    OD* and Bark'n like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My HD primary weapon is my Glock and it stays at the ready all the time, however if I am being seiged or know they are coming from a distance I will be using my AR15. I only have longer barreled shotguns that are not easy to wield inside the house so a shotgun is not my preferred choice for HD, but I can use it if needed.

I have a Hi-point 9mm. My 8 yr old can shoot a tight pattern at 50 yrds. I have run 1000 rds through itand the only malfunction was the bullet itself (didn't fire). I think the only drawback is the magazine size. Mine does have two mags on the butt stock tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links