Shoot and See targets with 5.56/.223 rounds

This is a discussion on Shoot and See targets with 5.56/.223 rounds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was shooting today with my AR-15 carbine and a .45 ACP carbine to sight-in at the range. The .45 made a noticeable bright mark on ...

Thread: Shoot and See targets with 5.56/.223 rounds

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Shoot and See targets with 5.56/.223 rounds

Was shooting today with my AR-15 carbine and a .45 ACP carbine to sight-in at the range. The .45 made a noticeable bright mark on the "shoot and see" target but the 5.56 was not even noticeable (requiring magnification to see the hit mark). Just curious as to why the 5.56 was undetectable and if anyone knows of a paper target that indicates 5.56 rounds well.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

I use the shoot-N-C targets with the 5.56 at 100 yards and the marking show up well with a spotting scope. I do have a bit of trouble seeing them out at the 200 yard mark .... Have you tried a spotting scope?
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

.223 moves twice as fast as .45ACP and is pointed as opposed to blunt. This means it cuts through the target much more cleanly and doesn't disturb the coating as much. Plus, the hole is only half the size as the .45.

I have the same problem when I'm shooting my .22-250 Savage. Same bullet, essentially. I really need to pick up a spotting scope. I have a 3-9x scope right now but plan on going to a 4-12 or 16x scope soon so maybe that will help me see those little holes...

Links