Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

This is a discussion on Why is .22 Impossible to Find? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Badey Yeah, I know... the PANIC. What I mean is why are people panic buying .22lr. I can understand buying 9mm, .223, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Yeah, I know... the PANIC.

What I mean is why are people panic buying .22lr. I can understand buying 9mm, .223, 7.62, .308, etc. But I don't understand why .22lr is in such high demand.... can anyone logically explain it to me?
    I've seen people piling up on 9mm, .45, etc. ... and really don't understand that. But, I really don't understand the .22 LR panic buying. Totally absurd. It's causing issues with gun/range training with women and younger folks at many ranges, who mostly shoot only .22 to initiate them to shooting. I've heard folks who have said ... I bought 5K or 10K rounds of .22 LR .... and I keep asking them "why" ??? Gotten some really stupid answers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Because it's the coinage of the future. :tinfoil:

Seriously, the components are in short supply, demand (legit or panic-induced) is high and a lot of shooters are finally waking up to the fact .22LR is an excellent training round.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I haven't had to purchase any 22 in over a year. After the panic of '08, I was picking up a box or two or three as I found it. Got home and put in the ammo locker. Well, after three years of that, the shelf wouldn't hold any more. So I pulled it all out, sorted by brand and packed it in ammo cans. I was in shock when I realized that there was just shy of 30,000 rounds. Since then, I only buy to replace what I burn in a range trip.

What some may call hoarding, given the current state of supply, I see as a prudent supply.

I've also been known to pour out a pile from a bulk box when the eight? yr old on the next station realized that he was out of ammo. The smile on his face-PRICELESS!!

His dad and friend were both Deputy Sheriffs. Had a good conversation and made three new friends.
    BugDude and DPro.40 like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member
    I think the panic buying will not last much longer...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member

Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

I was told that Olin company is working round the clock to build ammo.
    But it makes sense that they make center fire first since it sells for more.
    I agree that levels will come back at some point unless the government gets a control measure in place
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Why is there no .22 ammo?

Because some guy is hoarding 30,000 rounds! ;)

I'm not saying how many rounds we have, because it was all lost when the canoe tipped over.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I think the panic buying will not last much longer...
    That's only because there's nothing left to buy...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's cheap to buy in large quantities and everyone has at least one (if not several) .22s. I've got pistols, revolvers, and rifles chambered in 22. Unfortunately, I ignored my .22 inventory level and got caught with a thin stock. And its one of the calibers I can't buy reloads at the range to shoot. Shame on me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The lowly .22 is survival food for the gun world.
    That is right. I don't buy them so much for shooting people, but I am a big fan of dinner.
    I haven't bought any in a long time but I am sure I have 5000 rounds. I wouldn't say i hoard them, but for a while i bought a brick of them each time i bought ammo. Guns and ammo aren't just about self defense. If I ever find myself in a survival situation I would rather feed myself with a 22 than a 5.56 that would be better saved for the use it is designed for.

I have thousands of shotgun rounds as well and very few are buck shot, all of my BB's are for geese. I don't own a single slug. I have never really intentionally stocked up on them either, but I by a couple cases of 4-6 shot for early teal and pheasant, three or four cases for duck and anywhere between 2 and 10 cases for geese depending on if I hunt snows or not. Over the years they tend to build up.
    Last edited by Badbullgator; February 3rd, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    airslot likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links