Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

This is a discussion on Why is .22 Impossible to Find? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I know... the PANIC. What I mean is why are people panic buying .22lr. I can understand buying 9mm, .223, 7.62, .308, etc. But ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

Yeah, I know... the PANIC.

What I mean is why are people panic buying .22lr. I can understand buying 9mm, .223, 7.62, .308, etc. But I don't understand why .22lr is in such high demand.... can anyone logically explain it to me?
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post

What I mean is why are people panic buying .22lr. I can understand buying 9mm, .223, 7.62, .308, etc. But I don't understand why .22lr is in such high demand.... can anyone logically explain it to me?
    Because everything else sold out first, and .22 was the only thing left to panic buy.
    bklynboy likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Administrator
    22 is made from the same raw material as every other caliber. 9mm, 5.56 etc is taking priority.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Because. Their still ammo and ya got to have ammo. Don't confuse the panicked masses with details. They have comfort now, they have bullets.
    wmhawth likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    22 is made from the same raw material as every other caliber. 9mm, 5.56 etc is taking priority.
    This makes sense. If they have to use their lead, they are going to use it to make the large caliber rounds that people want. I'm sure they make more money per box or 9mm than they do per box of .22.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Re: Why is .22 Impossible to Find?

I'm buying 22lr because I still want to shoot, but I don't want use up my centerfire ammo, not knowing when I will be able to replenish.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    PAT FINN likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    While the Bill O'Really in drag AWB is panicing everyone, here is another reasonable answer: Most of the trainers I know have been inundated with people trying to get firearms training and if you can't get 380 ACP and up then you train with 22LR! A couple of the full time trainers have done as much business in January as they did the 1st quarter last year.

Next week I have three students and they'll all be training with 22LR as they can't find any 9mm or 40 S & W. One of my fellow instructors shot a 4 day course (1,000) with Hornady Steel Match at $24.95 a box! So she spent over $500.00 to shoot the course.

So if you sign up for a couse make sure you got the ammo for it!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

If anyone owns at least one gun it is usually a .22. Even if it's grandpa's old .22, it's still in their closet.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I know everyone including me doesnt want to rely on a 22 for defense. But just yesterday at the LGS while shopping I was talking to a few LE friends of mine. I mentioned they had one pistol I liked but it was only in 22lr. All of em absolutely serious looked at me and said Id rather be shot with anything in a handgun than a 22!! I looked at them a bit puzzled and my closest LE friend that has been involved with officer hit shootings a few times now quipped Yeah get hit the leg and it comes out your throat.
    Sort of surprised me they would react that way. I know 22 can kill but Jeez
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

don't come late to the party and complain that the beer is gone
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

I've spoken about have a good relationship with your LGS. Today I went and purchased a Leopold Scope for my 30-30.
    While checking out I noticed that they had finally restocked some .22lr. What had been previously priced before the panic buying at $9.95 for 100 rounds was now $11.95 not exactly gouging.
    I asked about the price and basically, the $2 add-on was from the distributor. I grabbed 500 round box which is what they were limiting to single purchases for fairness to other customers.
    I was OK with that, but darn, still no .22 mag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The lowly .22 is survival food for the gun world.
    BugDude and Badbullgator like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Also, you get a lot of rounds for the money spent.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post

I don't know for sure, but was able to score on 300 rounds of CCI MiniMags today! 9mm too!
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Goodness, I went to wally world today and bought two 500 round boxes, spent 20 bucks, and there was plenty there. I never realized there was a shortage on .22 but then again, I wasn't looking either. I pick up a 500 round box every couple of weeks during the winter since we shoot it all in the summer.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links