Shot my first handguns today - Page 2

Shot my first handguns today

This is a discussion on Shot my first handguns today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats on your new gun....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Shot my first handguns today

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Congrats on your new gun.
    K9Buck likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Thank you and thank you for your service to our country. My dad served in Nam too and, fortunately, returned safe and sane.

Congrats on your discovery of personal safety and firearms...your wallet will never be the same.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    K9Buck and dukalmighty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    Yea, the guy in the range kept having to tell me to take my finger off of the trigger as he was trying to explain things to me.
    For reference -- The four basic gun safety guidelines:

1. Treat all guns as if they were loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Know your target, and what is beyond it.

Along these lines, I'd suggest acquiring a couple of chamber flags (simple plastic doohickeys you stuff into the chamber/barrel so you and everyone can see it's clearly unloaded). Some ranges require them to be used while the gun is out of your bag whenever futzing around doing something other than actively shooting. When around a number of folks whose proficiency you specifically don't know about, every little step helps.
    K9Buck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Congradualtion, get as much range time as you can afford and any training you can
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    [*]Never let the muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy.
    Thanks for the great feedback. On this particular note, one of the gunshop guys got onto one of the customers waiting to use the range. The customer had a rifle slung over his shoulder and he was bending over to look at guns in the cases and his muzzle would then be pointed in the direction of other people. The gunshop guy was rather stern and I know the customer was embarassed, and rightly so. Everybody in the store stopped what they were doing to look at him.

I bet a lot of people start off being super conservative, careful and safe and then, over time, not so much. I'll do my best to not allow myself to become complacent.

Absolutely and thanks! By the way, that's a beautiful pup in your avatar. Pit bull?

Kudos K9Buck ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    [*]And, since you're in FLA, pick up a copy of Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership, by Gutmacher.[/list]
    WOW ccw9mm...that is an awesome read, every State should have a firearms owners manual like that!

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this! In addition to being really brave (dude, you like, totally shared your feelings with us and stuff), you have in one post summed up the bewilderment, concern (dare we say fear?) and intimidation that many people feel about firearms while at the same time showing that these concerns can be overcome VERY quickly with the right advice, a steady and friendly helping hand and some attractive members of the opposite sex...wait...what was this post about? Oh, yeah, guns!!!

No, really. You have done a lot of other newbies a great favor by sharing your experience. I'm sure many of us can relate to those first experiences. So, go get that training and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Wow, I'm so glad you posted this! In addition to being really brave (dude, you like, totally shared your feelings with us and stuff), you have in one post summed up the bewilderment, concern (dare we say fear?) and intimidation that many people feel about firearms while at the same time showing that these concerns can be overcome VERY quickly with the right advice, a steady and friendly helping hand and some attractive members of the opposite sex...wait...what was this post about? Oh, yeah, guns!!!

No, really. You have done a lot of other newbies a great favor by sharing your experience. I'm sure many of us can relate to those first experiences. So, go get that training and let us know how it goes!
    Thanks and you're welcome! Lessons? You better believe it! I'm sure after a couple lessons I'll be able to ride a horse at full speed and have the ability to shoot a gun out of a bad guy's hand from 50 yards just like in the movies! Piece of cake! ;)

Ummm, "Yeeeeehaw!" Or something. Right?

Best wishes,

Gav

Congrats! It's a lot of fun to shoot - and a whole lot of responsibility to carry.

I just got back into the whole gun world a couple months ago, and absolutely love it. Just remember, you can't get better if you don't practice. Spend a BUNCH of time at the range starting out, and don't get frustrated. Ask the range people questions, they really are there to help you.

One other thing I'm just stumbling on now, is the absolute importance of a gun safe. Start thinking about how many weapons you think you'll own in a couple years, double it, and then buy a gun safe for that many. Wife and I are still looking around. They're expensive, but if I'm going to leave my weapons at home while I'm gone (don't plan on CCW'ing a couple HD shotguns!) it's my responsibility to make sure they don't make it into the hands of a criminal or worse, a innocent child.

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    Then, I tried a Khar PM9 and I was sold so I bought one, new. It was smaller, lighter and seemed more fun to shoot. I'm taking a cc class there on Wednesday, at which time I can take the gun home with me.
    Congrats. As others have suggested, some self defense training would be helpful. You don't want the first time you pull the trigger and hear a click instead of a bang to be in the heat of a battle. Tap, rack, bang will have meaning after you get through training. Also, look at Khar's recommended break-in. You'll want to put a few hundred rounds through it, track any FTEs or FTFs so that you know how the pistol is performing. I keep a log for all my SD pistols so that I can remember how many rounds have been fired, any ammo that created problems(I got ahold of some old Speer Lawman FMJ that didn't fare well), if I was doing something that lead to a problem, or any other malfunction/problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links