Do Americans Defend Themselves With Guns? - Page 2

Do Americans Defend Themselves With Guns?

This is a discussion on Do Americans Defend Themselves With Guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by lchamp I find most statistics to be irrelevent, especially those cited by a college professor. Frequently, the same statistics can be used ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do Americans Defend Themselves With Guns?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I find most statistics to be irrelevent, especially those cited by a college professor. Frequently, the same statistics can be used to 'prove' both sides of the argument.
    Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of how the research was conducted, what constitutes sound research, and how actual research differs from what is reported by media? My major was based on research so I'd like to know more of why people who are evidently unfamiliar with how it is done or what conclusions can/ought to be drawn from it. It yields good meta data like this:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Some other surveys conclude that in general the use of guns in self-defense does reduce the likelihood of property loss or injury. A 2004 study in the journal Criminology, based on the previously mentioned Bureau of Justice Statistics numbers, concluded that about 10 percent of those individuals who used guns in self-defense were subsequently hurt.

“Compared to lack of resistance, self-protection reduced the likelihood of property loss and injury,” concluded the study.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    As a college professor, I'm not sure you understand statistics. Statistics are never designed to prove an argument. Most college professors know this, because most college professors have been trained in the production and use of statistics. We know where they bolster an argument and where they don't.

In fact, we spend an awful lot of time working on finding out which statistics have meaning and which don't.

Really, statistics are a lot like handgun ammunition. Without the right (mental) equipment, they're pretty much useless. Even with the right (mental) equipment, without common sense, they can be dangerous. And without training, it's very likely repeated use will result in bad things happening.

So, kids....be responsible with your statistics, and if you see one lying around, leave it alone if you don't know what it's for.
    Well said sir.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links