Shocked at LGS Today - Page 2

Shocked at LGS Today

This is a discussion on Shocked at LGS Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy Why weren't you already prepared with an adequate supply of ammo on hand? I have plenty of ammo. Just want to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Shocked at LGS Today

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Why weren't you already prepared with an adequate supply of ammo on hand?
    I have plenty of ammo. Just want to be able to replace what I shoot.

If they were selling at suggested retail, would they have anything in stock? Which is worse, none available at any price, or some available that seems like it's priced too high? Capitalism may not always be pretty, but it works.

Like I said......If the price of the Colt would have been $1080 and the ammo $19 someone would already snatched them up and relisted them for what the LGS has listed them for.

I just bought 3 boxes of 9mm (PPU) at my local walmart this week for $14.99 per box of 50.
    Chorizo likes this.

I saw American Federal 45ACP 230 in Gander for $34 for a box of 50.
    At the range I am a member of they have the same for $24 a box of 50. The only condition is you can only buy what you think you will shoot that day. No quantity but still good prices.
    Ted

S&W9c w/RMR Red Dot, Wilson CQB, LB Premier II
    STI HP Edge 40, STI Trojan 9mm

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Never shop there again is my suggestion.
    And let them know why.
    hogdaddy and rammerjammer like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by paynetrain1988 View Post
    These shops that jack their prices up will never see my business now or in the future.
    ^Amen to that sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Supply and demand drive the price. That's capitolism. You can always say no.
    Clearly nobody is demanding the $49.99 box's of ammo or else they wouldn't still be on the shelf .
    atctimmy likes this.

Consider this, before you boycott your LGS: the higher prices may reflect what they need to charge to keep their lights on and their kids fed for the next few weeks.

If they can't get enough product to sell at a lower price, they have to make profit off smaller volume sales. Which, of course, means higher pricing points. And if it's been this way for a while and doesn't look to change anytime soon, they're in a hard place. Most of them don't want to lose your business, but they have to make those two or three boxes of ammo count for the well-being of their business and their family.

Remember that there are 4 factors driving the lack of product: Hurricane Sandy (hurt warehouses, raw materials, and production facilities), the holidays (many production shutdowns), the political climate (he did say he'd impact the economy), and gun owner's panic buying.

Boycotting a company because they made a political business decision (like Cheaper than Dirt) is one thing. Hurting the local guy because he's got to make hard choices to keep his business open is quite another.

Just my opinion, of course. But I'm an advocate for keeping the local businessman in business. Especially when it's a business I like having around.

I haven't been to my LGS yet this yer. I shudder at the thought of what I will find when I do go in.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You might get paid a dividend that way, but hopefully you are buying shares when they are low, (meaning not many others want them) and will sell your shares when they are high (when there is greater demand). The value of the shares have changed based on the number of outstanding shares (supply) and the value that others place on them (demand). So are you gouging the next person that buys your shares? You are selling them for hopefully much more than you paid for them, are you not? They are still the same shares, right?
    Well said. All these (economic) Nervous Nellies piss me off.

My LGS has become my LGAS (Local Gun Accessory Store), 'cause they don't have any more guns to sell.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Well said drbald1. Their babies gotta eat today and three months down the road when their distributors entire 2013 supply is already sold and they can't get any merch in to put on the shelves.

I guess my friends really hated it when I had to raise my prices I was charging them for 9mm reloads from $12 per 100 to $15 per 100 due to my component prices going up a little.Just finished reloading one guy 500 rounds for $75
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I learned the basics of supply/demand in high school economics in the 70's.

I guess they don't teach that any more?

If you are not going to buy from anyone who raises their prices, you will probably never buy anything gun-related again.

The market will eventually settle on the price people can/will pay. But nothing will ever be at pre-Sandy Hook prices agian.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links