how long will a glock last with factory parts?

This is a discussion on how long will a glock last with factory parts? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i bought a g23 gen 3 in november and have put maybe 400 rounds through it with no problems love the gun. was just curious ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 3 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool
  • 1 Post By Luis50

Thread: how long will a glock last with factory parts?

how long will a glock last with factory parts?

i bought a g23 gen 3 in november and have put maybe 400 rounds through it with no problems love the gun. was just curious how many people have glocks and have had them for along time, how many rounds have you put through it and have you had to buy new spare parts for it? whats a common part that you will havto replace. im going to buy an extra barrel and spare parts kit for my whole gun. any advise will help thank you

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    20,000 to 50,000 rounds. Glocks are bombproof.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Until YOU break something, probably; much like other guns.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I'll let my grandson worry about replacing parts on my Glock.

I'm currently 30 with no kids.
    atctimmy, wmhawth and 68blackbird like this.

I think the factory recommends a new recoil spring assembly around 5000 rounds. This is just a guideline.

I've put exactly one in one of my 3 guns, and it was a well-used Gen 2 19.

Good news is that, for about $30, you can get a good supply of springs and such to stash back.

Administrator
    You will probably be really interested in this, CLICK HERE

Just to give you an idea as to what a GLOCK can go through and still keep on ticking. A persson that I know and trust put 5,000 rounds through a GLOCK 23 without cleaning it and occasionally just adding a few drops of oil to thae rails and it did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    i bought a g23 gen 3 in november and have put maybe 400 rounds through it with no problems love the gun. was just curious how many people have glocks and have had them for along time, how many rounds have you put through it and have you had to buy new spare parts for it? whats a common part that you will havto replace. im going to buy an extra barrel and spare parts kit for my whole gun. any advise will help thank you
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yep, Glocks are easy to maintain with a minimum of money and effort. Also, there was a video of James Yeager shooting 1000 rounds in a Glock in about 14 minutes. The recoil spring guide melted and broke but it kept on shooting. I don't honestly know if there are many pistols that could take that kind of abuse and keep on ticking.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    I would buy more training or more ammo if I were you.
    phreddy likes this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Yep, Glocks are easy to maintain with a minimum of money and effort. Also, there was a video of James Yeager shooting 1000 rounds in a Glock in about 14 minutes. The recoil spring guide melted and broke but it kept on shooting. I don't honestly know if there are many pistols that could take that kind of abuse and keep on ticking.
    Here is one. Pretty amazing "must see" Vid if you have never seen it. Many members have seen it. It has been around for a while now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A Glock will last so long that the purchase price will seem insignificant compared to the money spent on ammo.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Here is one. Pretty amazing "must see" Vid if you have never seen it. Many members have seen it. It has been around for a while now.
    Good video. I did notice how Todd kept talking about how hot the gun, especially the trigger was getting, and he also said this: “Thank gosh for those Pearce rubber grips ‘cause if I had regular grips they would have melted off of it.” But yep, it kept on shooting.

thank you. i will get more recoil springs, i do have alota bullets for it already but always want more. i have seen a few torture tests on them but wanted to hear from people on here. im just asking because i wanto get more glocks but the way things are going i dont know if ill be able to get another one by the time i have the money for another one. so if i cant im glad i have a good tool to last me along time and im glad i went with a glock, it was between glock, s&w, and springfield xdm. but the glock has always had a sweet spot in my heart!

Several years ago Chuck taylor was testing a Glock 17 for long term endurance. The last count I read about he was at 177,000 rounds. At that point he had replaced the plastic sights (worn due to hundreds if not thousands of draws from the holster) and had replaced a few sets of magazines ( he was using them in sets of three).

I believe the round count for Chuck's G17 now almost exceeds 300,000 (re: Feb. 2011, Combat Handguns magazine).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links