Range Time? - Page 2

Range Time?

This is a discussion on Range Time? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That sounds like my situation. The close range is used for police training and is only available twice a month. Other than that I have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Range Time?

That sounds like my situation. The close range is used for police training and is only available twice a month. Other than that I have to drive a good distance to shoot at an overcrowded range. With all of that, I don't get to shoot as much as I would like.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Yes we got guest rooms. Remember I'm in New Mexico,about 50 miles south of Colorado. Oh yeh forgot to mention I'm about 30 min. From the NRA Whittington center, & do official matches there + they have great gun shop too. Guess I do live right.

Not Da Gunny, just a Gunny. USMC -- Semper Fi

We've got a pistol range on our property which works except in bad/wet weather when it gets mucky out there. So, I often go to our gun club which is really nice and not too busy usually. But my favorite is the range a friend of mine has set up on his property. It works great for pistol shooting and goes back about 300 yards from there.

So, I don't have a lot of excuses, but lately I've not been shooting much because I'm conserving my ammo.

Lucky to have an indoor range about 20 minutes from my house. It's members only, however, they let non-members shoot for a range fee. I was going twice week but it's been packed since December and with ammo shortages, I've been going once a week and that's just for our women's league.

A new member's only outdoor range is planning to open sometime this summer, about 45 minutes from our house. Haven't decided if we will join but definitely plan to check it out.

I shoot on private land about 5 minutes from my house. I shoot until the ammo I brought is gone. I would say most of the time it is about 45 minutes.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I shoot handgun about once or twice a week. The indoor ranges is only about ten minutes from me. As to rifle, I am a member of a private club but the range is 64 miles from my house. I don't get out there nearly as much as I would like.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

[QUOTE=Kutz;2590812]Yes we got guest rooms. Remember I'm in New Mexico,about 50 miles south of Colorado. Oh yeh forgot to mention I'm about 30 min. From the NRA Whittington center, & do official matches there + they have great gun shop too. Guess I do live right.
    /QUOTE]

Have you thought about sponsoring the first annual Defensive Carry.com get together? Do you need anyone to help you carry your guns or anything?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I live about 1.5 miles from an outdoor range. Membership is super-cheap, and while it's not the Ritz, I like it just fine. Ideally I go once a week, and no less than twice a month.

VIP Member
    I get out about once a week. I have two indoor ranges within 15 minutes of the house. One (the newer and much nicer of the two) offers a private membership that gives you priority placement and allows reservations along with a 10% discount on purchases. It gets ridiculously crowded on the weekends. I am thinking about joining just avoid the crowds.

luckily I know someone with 100 acres of private wooded land. It is very beneficial. Although finding a good clearing to do any real distance is sometimes difficult. I'll take it over the crazy prices of the range around here.

Some of you sound like you are in the same situation as me. My FIL is putting in a pistol range on his farm since he also bought a new handgun. But that is about 45 min away. On Sunday I spent an hour at the range and shot 100 rounds. It was nice to shoot but then I realized how expensive it would be with the current ammo prices of around 45 cents per round for 9mm in my area IF you can even find it in stock.

As a side question, how much do you spend in ammo for your average day at the range? My guess is it has increased in the past few months. Part of me is thinking that I might save up and buy a few thousand rounds in bulk order this spring of they become more a available. That might be the only way I can afford to go.

My goal will be to go to a range once a week to once every other week with someone who is a better shooter than me. That way I can learn and practice every time out. Oh and I would like to shoot at least 50 rounds per putting.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    just about every weekend at a good public outdoor range

Range Time?

Our indoor range which is about a half hour away, does ladies day every Mon, so for a very long time I went every Monday morning and shot a couple hundred rounds. Then I took a job with a varied schedule, so I don't always have Mondays off and ammo's been hard to find so I haven't been to the range now in a couple months. :( I shot once a couple weeks ago at a neighbor's property which my trigger finger got real itchy, but that's it.

I have an indoor range that's open to the public about half an hour from me. However since I'm a member, my wife and I can reserve lanes, which we do. I shoot at least once a week, usually 100-150 rounds. Lately I've been going twice or three times a week. Part of it was wanting to make sure I qualified for my CCP. Then, when my shooting really started to improve, I wanted to keep going and see what I could do at greater distances. I'm shooting at a 6 inch circle at 20 yards now and pretty much putting every shot in it (not rapid firing, but not taking time to really aim each shot either).

So I'd say range time is pretty important, especially if you're still learning to shoot properly like I am.

I bought 80 acres and put in a 30, meter pistol range, and 100-500 meter rifle. Donít shoot as often as Iíd like, but that will change once the new house is finished in APR. I can then shoot out to 500 meters off the back deck. Pistol range:

New concrete slab for my 100-300 meter bench:

Where my back deck now sits, 400 to the top berm:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links