Range Time?

This is a discussion on Range Time? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How much time do you spend at the shooting range? Do you go a public range, have your own, or a private club type range ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Range Time?

Range Time?

How much time do you spend at the shooting range? Do you go a public range, have your own, or a private club type range and is it indoors or outside?

We have a very popular indoor range about 10 minutes from me. It is so popular that when I showed yesterday for the first shooting of my new Shield, I was told there was a 90 minute wait and they are closed today. Weekdays would be difficult because of my work schedule.

There is another indoor range about 45 minutes north of me that is open today so that might be an option.

I have been told from several people that range time is very important, but how much time do people really put in?

2. Remove Ads

When home in Arizona I have a great outdoor range(Rio Salado Sportsmans Club) about 10-15 minutes away and a good indoor range(Caswells) about 15-20 minutes away. I try to get to the range as often as possible. My goal is once or twice a week but usually it's once or twice a month.

Not nearly enough time at the range anymore.
    It is getting harder to find places to shoot where you don't have to drive hours or wait hours to get into an over crowded range.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't go often as I'd like. Two indoor ranges here; one an absolute dump, one newer and nicer but crappy ventilation (Why don't they consider that when constructing a range?). The closest outdoor public range is 45 minutes; well kept, usually at least two RSOs on the line, but still a guy managed to shoot his hand while there. There is one "members only" range nearby, but I can't afford the "application fee" and for what they charge, I was underimpressed during my one visit there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In nice weather we have two places to shoot on private property. And we get out about twice a week.

I try to get to the range at least once a week, for 2-3 hours at an indoor range at my LGS. Once a month I go to an outdoor range & work on movement skills for 3-6 hours.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I'm very fortunate to be about 15 minutes from my gun club. Its a private outdoor range that offers pistol, rifle to 500 yds and trap and skeet. I'm there almost weekly unless its snowing, etc. We have a very nice club house and I enjoy sitting around with other old guys and grousing about everything. Sometimes we even shoot!
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Live on a 137,000 acre ranch with a 25 & 50 yd Bullseye pistol range with turning targets & 100 yd target. We also have a rifle range with 100, 200, 300,& 400 yd targets. The 2,3&400s also have swinging 18" metal gongs. Two ranges out on the range. Pistol is one half mile & rifle one mile from my ranch house. Am I fortunate or what?

Semper Fi from a Gunny to Da Gunny!

Like SpencerB, I'm close to Rio Salado, and I stay in practice by normally shooting a handgun match or a rifle match weekly. On top of that, I'm usually out there one weekend day a month for sheer shootin' fun or checking out a new load.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutz View Post
    Live on a 137,000 acre ranch with a 25 & 50 yd Bullseye pistol range with turning targets & 100 yd target. We also have a rifle range with 100, 200, 300,& 400 yd targets. The 2,3&400s also have swinging 18" metal gongs. Two ranges out on the range. Pistol is one half mile & rifle one mile from my ranch house. Am I fortunate or what?

Semper Fi from a Gunny to Da Gunny!
    Got a guest room
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Guest room for what!!!! I want adoption......
    JoseRomeroJr likes this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Range Time?

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Got a guest room
    Lets have a get together at his place... All you can shoot menu!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

No indoor range near me but three outdoor ranges. Lately, it has been too cold to go outdoors. Hurry spring!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

The lack of availability of new ammo has significantly reduced the amount of range time for me. Bummer.

Am a member of an outdoor private gun club and normally shoot weekly. Have been shooting less lately due to ammo shortages.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links