Good Trade?

This is a discussion on Good Trade? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone posted locally that they want to trade a new S&W Shield .40 compact for a rifle. So I've negotiated a trade for my marlin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Good Trade?

Good Trade?

Someone posted locally that they want to trade a new S&W Shield .40 compact for a rifle. So I've negotiated a trade for my marlin 30/30 with bag, and about 50 shells plus $125 for the Shield 40. He says it's like new with the 2 original clips.

In our discussions, he stated that he was the 2nd owner and that he hasn't registered it. Now, I understand the chance of receiving a defective gun if I purchase it 2nd hand, but that aside:

1) Sound like a fair trade value wise (or to my benefit)?

2) I'm hoping we can meet at a pawn shop to transfer the gun so that it would be registered to me (they're closed today so I can't get a hold of anyone to talk to them). What's the procedure for this? Say, he stole the gun and he's trying to do a quick trade to get rid of it, will the pawn shop be able to catch that before processing the registration? Or if maybe the original owner reports it stolen after I've taken possession, what would happen?

3) Thoughts on the S&W Shield 40... I recently got a Taurus TCP 380 that I planned to carry when I get my CC but after shooting it compared to a S&W Sigma 40, it's probably half as accurate and jammed several times. The S&W, although full size, felt great and was deadly accurate. I understand that I'd be losing accuracy with a compact, but S&W just felt like a better gun, never jammed and the larger caliber made a signicantly larger hole. I've read some great reviews on the Shield but the price tag to purchase new is too high for me.

Sorry for the long winded post. Any feedback on the trade and gun would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Good Trade?

ive got a shield .40 and love it! i say trade. look at your laws you may not have to go through an ffl.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359917776.140572.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359917876.916160.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359917921.040786.jpg

heres some teasers!
    joshw0000 likes this.

Re: Good Trade?

Good looking gun. So you open carry or conceal carry? If you conceal, how comfortable is it? I bought the 380 because it was so small and fits pretty comfortably on the inside of my pants.

RT
    IMO, it doesn't seem like a fair deal. If I'm thinking of the correct rifle, it retails at right around the same price as the Shield. I say if you want to trade, just do it gun for gun, and keep your cash.

i cc. its so thin, pretty light. i forget its even on me with my $45 ozarksholstercompany.com iwb. i really suggest you hop on it!

a 300$ lever gun for a 450$ unicorn that can serve as protection everywhere he goes comfortably? thees guns are selling for 650 on gunjoker all day

This is the gun I'd be trading - http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...oshw0000/30-30.

So for CC, everyone thinks it's a good gun?

Good Trade?

nice lever gun, good ammo too. id still trade.

Based on the intrinsic value of the two guns, I'd say a straight-up trade is fair, with the 50 rounds thrown in. In the current panic mode, nearly all gun prices (new and used) are inflated, the Shield more so than the 336.

Go to a site like Davidson's or Buds Guns and see what the retail prices are, then go to an auction site such as GunBroker to see not what's asked, but what both guns have actually sold for recently.

In the end, a fair price is what a willing seller accepts from a willing buyer, but my view is that you're being very generous.
    RT and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

RT
    It's definitely a good gun for CC. I would be a little concerned though that it's on its second owner and he is trying to unload it as well. Some of the Shield .40s had issues with dropping the magazine while firing, so that would be in the back of my mind if I were considering trading for that particular gun. That said, I stand by what I said about you getting the short end of the deal in my original reply, unless, of course, you paid considerably less than retail for the rifle.

@ost911 I made my comment going on what prices are around here. The average price for that rifle has been about $450, and a Shield could be found, and still can be at the right place, for the same price if not a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    It's definitely a good gun for CC. I would be a little concerned though that it's on its second owner and he is trying to unload it as well. Some of the Shield .40s had issues with dropping the magazine while firing, so that would be in the back of my mind if I were considering trading for that particular gun. That said, I stand by what I said about you getting the short end of the deal in my original reply, unless, of course, you paid considerably less than retail for the rifle.

@ost911 I made my comment going on what prices are around here. The average price for that rifle has been about $450, and a Shield could be found, and still can be at the right place, for the same price if not a little less.
    I actually received the rifle as part of a cell phone trade (I buy/sell/trade phones/tablets locally and online). I don't have $450 in it but I did just buy the ammo a few weeks ago in the great panic. I'd like to get the value out of the rifle but even if I add some cash, I'd have less than $450 in the Shield.

I hope it doesn't have a mag issue. The Marlin has been a great rifle, I just don't really hunt so it's more for home defense.

RT
    I'd say go for it then. S&W has top notch customer service, so if it does have the mag issue, they would most likely take care of it for you. I've sent things into them before, and they have always done excellent work with quick turnaround.

ETA: I would still at least try to see if they would trade straight up or take a little less cash though.
    joshw0000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'd say go for it then. S&W has top notch customer service, so if it does have the mag issue, they would most likely take care of it for you. I've sent things into them before, and they have always done excellent work with quick turnaround.

ETA: I would still at least try to see if they would trade straight up or take a little less cash though.
    Trust me I did. He refused a straight trade. I told him I'd add cash and he said $125. I offered $100 and he declined.

Even trade or no deal. That is a nice rifle..you may want to keep the rifle and buy the Shield down the road. Don't sell yourself short.

Is the Marlin worth that much? I thought they were $400 or so new. How much are the Shields new? I see them for $550-600 online used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links