Gun shops out of control - Page 2

Gun shops out of control

This is a discussion on Gun shops out of control within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Yarg28 Jbum, That is the point I'm making. I'm NOT suggesting anybody hire. I'm saying that they can't afford not to be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Gun shops out of control

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    Jbum,

That is the point I'm making. I'm NOT suggesting anybody hire. I'm saying that they can't afford not to be better.
    Again, I'm not complaining about waiting. I specifically stated that. I just hate to see them struggling when there are basic things that they could do to help themselves. I listed a few things. I know they can't all do everything. I'm just trying to help them see that they CAN help themselves.

Like most people on here (I suspect) I root for the small local guys. I believe their success is critical in sustaining our rights.

I want this influx to be a "good" problem for them.
    Well stated!! I must have just misunderstood. I am rooting for our local gun stores but I think they are going to have a rough time in the near future everyone thinks they made bank the past 3 months but they aren't doing so well right now. I know 1 local shop that is buying all the used Glocks they can just to keep inventory. And for all the people who are saying the gun stores are selling $1000 ARs for $1500 no they are not they are selling $1500 ARs because that is what the market will bear.

Sounds like someone needs to open their own store.

I work part time in a small neighborhood gun store. Yep the demand has been a bit nuts for the past few weeks. Most of our customer base is a loyal bunch of repeat buyers. Since the big panic of 2012,2013 began were picking up a bunch of new loyal customers. Everyone understands that these are difficult time. So far everyone is bearing with us. We have hot coffee, and a few stools to sit and wait... as well as a few interesting stool warmers with loads of war stories, and real experience. In fact were quite entertaining. Sometimes the shop gets a bit crowded... but everyone is paitent, and waits their turn... they then get undevided attention from the owner or the sales guy.
    airslot and GeorgiaShooter like this.

The shop I frequent is going through the same customer load issues, but they handle it a bit better. The gun counter is off to the right and the ammo counter (and scopes and such) are off to the left. So the people wanting to get in and out for ammo do not need to wait around for the people peering through barrels trying to decide what they like.

Hiring new staff is risky. You don't want staffers who know nothing about the product, so your talent pool is going to be severely limited. I'd love to work weekends at the store, just because I enjoy the merchandise, but ask me what the difference is between scope A and scope B is and I'll run away.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or, if it bothers you that much, stop going to the LGS while this insanity is ongoing. Did you forget 2008 already? You knew when the election was, you knew what the possible outcome might be, you could have shopped before things got crazy. But nooooo, now you can sit around and complain about your lack of foresight.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No doubt it is nuts right now in the entire industry, with the LGS taking the brunt of the problem face first.

We have a rather large gun store nearby that recently doubled in size right before the SHTF.
    The frustrations of them trying to deal with the increasing amount of people is painfully evident with the store 'rules' changing almost daily.

The store hours change quite often, so much so they tell you to call first.

Most recent one is NOBODY enters the door without a FOID card. FOID is an Illinois only thing.

It's a different world out there today.

Don't know when, or if, it will ever be like it was.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

When I read the title to this thread I was thinking "Girls Gone Wild" but in the gun sense.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    When I read the title to this thread I was thinking "Girls Gone Wild" but in the gun sense.
    I can picture it now... "Assault weapons" flashing their pistol grips. Shotguns making "chik-chik" cat calls at other firearms. Rifles using their scopes for unscrupulous things. SOME GUNS DISCHARGING BEFORE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO.

Mama and Papa Musket would be quite upset. Uncle Blunderbuss would laugh while pouring another one back.
    revldm likes this.

Blah blah blah .... Gun shops sell whatever they have in stock. It's just a business, like any other.

Here in NY when I purchased my first gun at Gander Mountain, state law says I can not even touch it without a NY liscense first.
    Never spent so much money on anything before I could not touch, smell, hear, taste or eat!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    It appears the gun shops should do as my LGS is doing, he is taking orders for guns but he is also switching to a wider variety of gun accessories, fishing tackle, compound bows, bow accessories etc because of the gun manufacturers huge backlog. It appears, as always, the small Mom and Pop stores will feel the brunt of the shortage and close their doors because of the lack of any inventory. Hard to pay the rent if you have no guns to attract the customers. To compound the problem most manufacturers have not completely overcome the high demand that they experienced in late 2008 and early 2009. I have had a shotgun, that is manufactured here in Florida, on order since March 2012 with no firm delivery date as of yet.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I think it is hit or miss. There is one place that I went into last week that was horrible. The people behind the counter were shocked that I would have the nerve to ask if they had a Shield in stock and became down right rude in ther response. Then instead of being willing to try to sell me something else or help with any other questions, 3 of them gathered around an AR-15 that one of them was assembling while talking to the guns owner.

On the flip side, a larger LGS that I did buy my shield from, had a security guard that doubled as a traffic controller, greeter, and gave out numbers to anyone who needed to buy any guns. They have two different check out counters, one for guns and one for everything else, and even though I waited about 90 minutes to get to the counter, it was evident that they gun guys were working their buts off to get us in and out as quickly as possible.

Needless to say, one place will get more of my business than the other place.
    Yarg28 likes this.

ok, so...how do you like your shield? I'm happy for you but i also shed a tear because I'd have better luck finding a unicorn than a shield around here. If one more salesman tries to "upsell" me to a PPS i'm gonna snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    ok, so...how do you like your shield? I'm happy for you but i also shed a tear because I'd have better luck finding a unicorn than a shield around here. If one more salesman tries to "upsell" me to a PPS i'm gonna snap.
    It is the worst gun on the planet.

Just kidding. I love it. Sent 100 rounds down range on Sunday and was very surprised at how well it handled. The funny and sad part is that I had two chances to buy this gun. The first time I was in a LGS to rent a gun, but the new rules required me to be shooting with someone else, so they instead tried to sell me a shield, but I had never shot it and did not know anything about it, and had my heart set on the LC9. The sales man smiled and said that I would kick my self in the morning. After looking at all the side by side comparisons on line, I realized he was right. The following week, I stopped in to see if I could get on a waiting list. I was in the store with a number as they posted that they had just received 13 9mm Shields in stock. Needless to say I just about wet myself and left with the gun.

So I was in a LGS when they had shields in stock TWICE in one week.

You gotta take time off work to go. Anything after hours or weekends is just insane.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links