Finally Took My NRA Basic Pistol Course

This is a discussion on Finally Took My NRA Basic Pistol Course within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; See above topic title for basic premise of this post ha ha! Anyway, finally took my course, along with my 1st time shooter wife. Awesome, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Finally Took My NRA Basic Pistol Course

Finally Took My NRA Basic Pistol Course

See above topic title for basic premise of this post ha ha! Anyway, finally took my course, along with my 1st time shooter wife. Awesome, she is hooked! My synosis:

1. Instructor was good, three of us and our instructor for bookwork and at the range her husband was there to assist. Seemed like a personal lesson, excellent.

2. Fired single action cowboy type 22, good start, no ability to aim it however, I need practice.

3. 22 semi Beretta U22 Neos, fun start, aim much better.

4. In no particular order, 9mm semi, 357 w/ 38 then 357 ammo. Taurus Judge with 45 and shotgun (?) style shell (buckshot). That was cool.

Good range of weapons, lots of range time. Can't wait to get out again and practice, practice practice.

I can't grip for crap! I need to work on that. Using a grip where my left hand thumb is to side of rt. hand not on top (don't want to destroy my thumb) It is awkward, need to work on that.

Okay, poke holes in my description if you will. I am getting there!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Good to hear! By the way, and I've mentioned it before, my gun club runs a 3-times annually women only firearms safety course. For anyone reading this I encourage your range/safety organizations to do the same. It is critical that our wives, mothers, daughters, and granddaughters become familiar and competent with firearms. The course we run always has more applicants than we can handle and the waiting list is long...and this is Massachusetts! Get women involved!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Sounds like the class went well. Keep working on your grip, it will come around.

Good for you. I watched this video from Max Michel, the Captain of the Sig Sauer shooting team. I have been dry fire practicing for a couple of days and it feels better for me already.

Max Michel Shooting Tips - Tip #1 Improve Your Stance and Grip - YouTube

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I'll take a look. The grip just seems so awkward and stance I can definitely use work. Thanks!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I'm glad to see that you have got off on the right foot. It sounds like you had a good time and enjoyed it. Now all you have to do is practice, practice , and practice some more. Things will come around for you.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    You said it best ... practice, practice, practice. Good for you for getting some instruction.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    My neighbor just got certified to teach the class. I plan to help him get started by taking one of his classes.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Hey, none of us were born with a gun in hand shooting bulls eyes. Practice will bring the skills and comfort. Enjoy.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links