Heading to the Range - First Time

This is a discussion on Heading to the Range - First Time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Newbie here. I have some history with firearms, but have only recently decided to pick up my own handgun and I've signed up for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Heading to the Range - First Time

Newbie here. I have some history with firearms, but have only recently decided to pick up my own handgun and I've signed up for a basic handgun skills class. My folks had rifles and a couple of handguns around the house when I was growing up, but I learned to shoot outdoors and I've never actually set foot on an indoor range. Nowadays, I find myself living in an urban area and an indoor range is pretty much my only option.

So, here are my questions. When I go to my local indoor range, do the automated target carriers have instructions on use printed nearby or will I have to inquire with the range officer on how to use the carrier? Also, I'm assuming I will need to bring my own targets and a method of attaching them to the target carrier. Is that accurate? If so, what are the preferred methods of attachment? I recognize that these are basic questions, but I just want to show up prepared and knowing what to expect.

Thanks for your help.

Usually the ranges have an assortment of targets can buy but most will allow you to bring your own. As to attaching, many use tape and some have clips. You'll have to find that out when you get there. You can call ahead and ask these to be a bit more prepared. The absolute MOST important thing is that you follow ALL the safety rules, not just the 4 basics but any additional rules the range may have posted.

Most ranges will go out of their way to help a new shooter as long as you ask. Don't just guess if you have a question ask the range officer. There are no stupid questions on the firing range.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Like NC Bullseye said ...

If you dont understand, dont be afraid to ask for instructions on how the range works. Everybody has a "first time" experience. Be safe and have fun.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Just like NC bullseye say,no such thing as a dumb question on a gun range

VIP Member
    Welcome

just let them know and they will be most helpfull. Most ranges don't want any problems so they will help you. its better to ask questions and get help than to do something unsafe. All of the ranges want new people in the doors so I would bet they want you to return.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

NC Bullseye covered it, just wanted to say have fun!

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC. You're in good hands here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Usually the ranges have an assortment of targets can buy but most will allow you to bring your own. As to attaching, many use tape and some have clips. You'll have to find that out when you get there. You can call ahead and ask these to be a bit more prepared. The absolute MOST important thing is that you follow ALL the safety rules, not just the 4 basics but any additional rules the range may have posted.

Most ranges will go out of their way to help a new shooter as long as you ask. Don't just guess if you have a question ask the range officer. There are no stupid questions on the firing range.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
    Pretty much covers it, you'll find each range vary with type of equipment, so what you find at one may not apply at another. Ask questions and enjoy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome on board from HEB Texas.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. What NC Bullseye said. And there are no dumb questions at the range. Ask, and I'm sure you'll receive helpful replies.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Most range officers I've met will ask if you have been there before. If no... They will give you a quick intro to how the range works and let you know they are there to answer any questions. Can't ask a stupid question. They are there to help you have an enjoyable/safe time.

Welcome to the world of Responsible Firearm Ownership. I would recommend some basic training from a certified instructor and educate yourself on the firearm laws and use of lethal force laws in the areas you live and travel. This forum is a wealth of information not only of a technical nature but especially from the mental and mindset perspective. I joined this forum 4 years ago and I haven't stopped reading yet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ask questions... I know my local range asks if you shot there before, if not, they run through the rules and you sign your life away... Last thing any range wants is a bad incident like pointing the gun other than down range, etc.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Thanks everyone! Good stuff here. I appreciate your help and advice.

These gents covered it well. Have fun and be safe. Welcome aboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links