Would you fire an AR-15 made entirely of plastic? - Page 2

Would you fire an AR-15 made entirely of plastic?

This is a discussion on Would you fire an AR-15 made entirely of plastic? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Plastic bullet or real ones?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Would you fire an AR-15 made entirely of plastic?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Plastic bullet or real ones?

yes I would but I hope the company reinforced the buffer tube location since that is the usual breaking point.

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Rough number of above 50,000 psi chamber pressure for 5.56...

Haven't seen a plastic yet that would handle that...

Maybe NASA has some, but...

And how much force does it take from a firing pin to ignite a primer anyway???

Interesting example because an instructor from a firearms class I took less than a year ago passed around a yellow plastic .223 or 5.56 round to us all when he was talking about how far plastic has come. I was quite interested in it but unfortunately he couldn't tell me much more about it or who manufactured it. But it was an example he used when we were discussing the strength of plastic guns vs metal ones... He just said not to be surprised if we start seeing plastic shells in the not to distant future.

Wish I knew more but it was very interesting to me none the less... Reminded me of a shotgun shell with a metal base but a different shape obviously)

(Disclamer: It wasn't 3D printed ha I know of though)

Jay Leno uses this technology to fabricate parts for his car restorations. He makes a plastic mock-up using the 3-D printing and then takes it to a machinist for "real" parts.
    3D PRINTING JAY LENO'S GARAGE - YouTube

Senior Moderator
    Its a small world aint it? That kid that built the AR reciever was a roommate of my son at UCA where they went to college. He's been listed as the 14th most dangerous person in the USA by the FBI...just because he used a 3d printer to make an AR lower. The first one went 6 rounds. Using a different polymer got them over 60 rounds before failure.

Like any other technology, its still in its infancy and it cant do anything but get better. As an 07 maufacturer myself,I can see a gazillion opportunitys for this to work on some non-critical parts.

The thing is,we can make a non-ferrous reciever now, although it would be less than perfect it could work and whats it going to be like 20 years from now?

The Feds are scared to death of it because at the moment, they can't control it, and like everything else that the Feds get their hands on,they want to be able to. Proof of it is that they would put a 25 year old kid on the list as being "danderous" because he used some technology to do something that they didnt think of.

Its pitiful really.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If it was all I had.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links