how long have you been a gun owner? - Page 4

how long have you been a gun owner?

This is a discussion on how long have you been a gun owner? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does OC count, if then it's 52 years.....

View Poll Results: How long have you been a gun owner with intent to carry?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 years+

130 65.99%
  • 5 years+

25 12.69%
  • 1 year+

31 15.74%
  • Less than 3 months

11 5.58%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: how long have you been a gun owner?

Does OC count, if then it's 52 years..

Oh let's see shot my dad's guns a winchester mod 10 22 caliber, Colt Police Special, and an old Civil War Colt 1858 Navy, 36 caliber, from when I was 6 years and old. On my 12th birthday I was given my first shotgun. An Ithaca 12 ga. single shot break down I still have it. I bought my first rile shortly after turning 16 in 1970, a Winchester model 70 in 225 Winchester. I didn't get my first hand gun until I was out of the service in 1981. A Colt 1911 then a Sig P-220 I didn't entertain the idea of the intent to carry (my Sig P-220) until 2009 when I got my CCL. So it looks like I have had the intent to carry for 3 years, owned guns for 46 years, but been shooting for 52 years.
    Last edited by donp326; February 8th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I learned to shoot as a boy scout, but growing up and living in New York City, it was such an inconvenience to go shooting and almost impossible to get a carry permit ao I did not even contemplate it. After moving to Virginia a series of events made me decide that it was time to take it up again about 9 years ago while in my forties

Less than 3 months. I got a gun so I could carry.

9 years with CC.

Well over 10 years with intent to carry but not carrying. I'll explain. I use to carry when I lived in Indiana over 11 years ago. 11 years ago me and the wife moved to Illinois(her home state). Here I havent been able to carry on my person but do intend to carry once again if we ever get it actually passed. It wasnt until recently that I learned about Utah ccw license from a sporting good store. Upon learning about it we decided to go for it even if it meant we could only carry while we are traveling outside of our home state.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    26 years of CC'n and bought my first firearm in 1976. Payed for my first firearm in 1971 at 16 years of age. 12ga for hunting.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Been carrying for 49 years and have not shot anybody,just a coupla close calls.

I started shooting not long after I began to walk. Had my CCW since I turned 21, that's been 22 years now. I doubt I've ever had less than 2 guns since I was 8 years old.

When I started carrying I remember reading the newspaper story about this new invention called the telephone.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I carried a lot when I was working on the West Coast Waterfront, ( starting around 1978), but getting a permit to do so in California is all but impossible. So sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I never had to use it, but then If I had, I would rather be in jail than the cemetery. Lawmakers think that they will stop crime by passing laws, but what happens is that good people who have a legitimate concern for their safety end up breaking those laws out of self defense, and they now are criminals. So instead of the lawmakers stopping crime, they are creating more criminals.
    About a year ago when I moved to Nevada I started thinking about getting a CCW permit. the laws are different here, so that is what I did.

Got my first gun a .22 at age 10 so 49 years and counting. Been carrying concealed for 35 years.
    Last edited by azretired; February 11th, 2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: add
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

CC for 5.5 years.

Bought a .22 rifle in 1971. Began carrying my first handgun in 1975 when it was acquired.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Bought my first of 3 hand guns on July 31st of 2012. Got my CHL in October. Couldn't be having more fun!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links