Sig Red Dot for My AR-15; Opinions please

This is a discussion on Sig Red Dot for My AR-15; Opinions please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a Sig STS-081 sight from a friend (short money, couldn't resist) for my RRA AR-15. I currently have the carry handle and ...

Thread: Sig Red Dot for My AR-15; Opinions please

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Sig Red Dot for My AR-15; Opinions please

I just purchased a Sig STS-081 sight from a friend (short money, couldn't resist) for my RRA AR-15. I currently have the carry handle and standard front sight. I have two questions. 1) What is your opinion of this sight? I know it's no EOTech but will it stand up to the recoil of the AR? 2) What do I need to mount this? Do I need to remove the carry handle, do I need an adapter of some sort?

Thanks!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The A1 and A2 upper's have the carry handle permenantly attached (forged) to the upper receiver. The A3 carry handle is mounted to a picatinny rail and may be removed. Hope this helps somewhat. Somebody makes adaptors for optics that mount on top of the carry handle. My AR's are A3 uppers so I cant help with manufacturers for those.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

RKM
    It appears to be a Sig branded version of the Primary Arms or Bushnell, Aimpoint clones. I'm certain it will be ok and hold up to the recoil of an AR. If they're anything like the Primary Arms micro dot's, that's a good thing. They're great bang for buck. They're not an Aimpoint by any means in terms of quality or durability, but they'll suit just about anybody who uses their rifle fairly "nicely".

I'd advise against installing a red dot on top of the carry handle, only because it's going to place it so high, you'll have a very awkward cheek weld, or none at all. Remove the carry handle, and you'll probably have to buy a picatinny riser, since it won't mount on typical Aimpoint Micro mounts. I'd say a 1" riser will probably work. I'm not sure of any other way to mount this specific red dot and the proper height on an AR.

This probably isn't the best quality, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to do much better using this particular sight that MUST mount to a rail.
    http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Pro...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

It's unlike an Aimpoint Micro that would actually bolt to the mount.

Links