Another project gun: M45 Swedish K subgun

This is a discussion on Another project gun: M45 Swedish K subgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am always looking for something to occupy my off time here, entertainment is kind of scarce, so while digging around in the arms room ...

Thread: Another project gun: M45 Swedish K subgun

VIP Member

Another project gun: M45 Swedish K subgun

I am always looking for something to occupy my off time here, entertainment is kind of scarce, so while digging around in the arms room I found an interesting little piece of history.

Afghanistan if nothing else is a gun nuts haven. Every conceivable type of firearm has been used here throughout it's turbulent history. Enfield's, Martini-Henry Rifles, FN's, Mauser's, every AK variant known to man and even sub machine guns.

This is a rather old and unusual variation. It is a Carl Gustav Model 45 9mm submachine gun "Swedish K". Somewhere in it's past the stock broke off so someone did some Afghan engineering and fitted the rear portion of an AK stock. The gun is in great condition mechanically, cosmetically it has been rode hard and put up wet but it gives it character. The mag pictured is not a Swedish K mag it is for a .45 grease gun it was in the mag well so I assumed incorrectly that it was the correct mag. More on that in a minute.

Swedish K 2.jpg

Swedish K 5.jpg

Swedish K 6.jpg

Like most subguns of the period this one is simple, direct and to the point. Load the mag, insert, pull the bolt back to it's locking point and you are ready to go. It fires from an open bolt, the only safety is the cocking handle in that when pushed in it locks the bolt pull it out and pull the trigger. In the specs maximum effective range was listed as 250 or something like that, good luck, but for their intended purpose they work very well. The guns SN's do not match however they are all in the 300,000 range and are all original parts. The Egyptians also marketed a copy under license of the gun called the "Port Said".
    This early model is unique in that the mag well is removable so that a couple of different mags could be used. With the mag well removed the weapon would take the Finish 9mm stick mags as well as the drums. The standard K mags are 36 rounds and were some of the first that used the principle of making the front of the mag narrower than the rear of the mag to aid in proper feeding. The Swedes also developed the first speedloader for the mags which consisted of stripper clips with 6 rounds with an adapter that fit over the top of the mag, like a lula loader, and pushed the rounds in. The manual states the mag could be reloaded in just a few seconds this way.

These guns although out of production for many years were used by US Special Forces in S.E. Asia and according to the Team Sgt. here in Iraq last year due to a shortage of MP-5's. This gun was the basis/copied by S&W to make there excellent M-76 sub gun.

It kills time and for me that is enough.

Hopefully I will be able to locate a couple of mags and give it a try.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow. Great little piece of history, there.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that too.

Good luck with it. You take your fun where you can get it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Those guns like the Stens were cheap and mass produced,good luck on finding a mag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    We have a box of assorted mags we pile up may be able to find something to fit it or adapt one to it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links