Big Bore revolvers double tap

This is a discussion on Big Bore revolvers double tap within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anybody heard of or experienced a double tap from a big bore revolver because of recoil. I have made up my mind that I ...

Thread: Big Bore revolvers double tap

Big Bore revolvers double tap

Has anybody heard of or experienced a double tap from a big bore revolver because of recoil. I have made up my mind that I am going to buy a S&W 500 MAG with the 6.5" bbl but just recently heard about this issue. If anybody has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is true are there certain gun makers that engineer a safety feature into their handgun so this does not happen.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not an issue I am aware of - I fire my .454 guns (Raging Bull or SRH) in SA mode anyways and would find it hard to see this happening at all.

As shot goes off, there would be a need for a full DA sequence to get the cylinder round again. I can't see me exerting that sort of pull under recoil tho I can imagine a 4" Alasakan maybe is more brutal with movement.

I would not concern myself tho, have to say.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was witness to a double tap of that sort with a smith 629 and magnum shells were used. It was the weirdest thing. I am standing off to the side watching a buddy shoot my gun when I hear BLAM BLAM !, one after another. We examine the gun and two shells are fired. He said he pulled the trigger DA once. Its never happened again. I can only imagine that it somehow mis-timed.
    Some folks said I was losing it...

John Ross has expressed an opinion on doubling with the .500 mag... Take a look at the video available at:

http://www.john-ross.net/M500.avi

There is 6/10,000ths of a second elapsed time between the B/C gap flash and muzzle flash. Note distance from tip of trigger finger to wrist. It changes little; the rubber grip and palm flesh compress, which results in the trigger almost being released enough to re-index for the next shot. This is how some people are getting the gun to "double." Use wood grips with a very firm hold if you're going to shoot this bad boy one-handed.
    I've shot several .500's, and a few .460's as well. I have heard of this 'issue' as well, but it's way overblown. Can it happen? Yes, but the chances of it are so low as to be statistically insignificant. If you do manage to double one... go buy a lottery ticket :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Lew
    I remember a case several years ago, I saw on tv. A sorta Scientific who done it before they were mainstream. I think I was just outa highschool, so that would be some where in the early 90's. Googled it but did not find a reference.... perhaps someone else can find more..

A guy was down on a public range, shooting an automatic of some sort. The range was set up with a Huge berm and behind the berm was the building where the indoor range was.

From the shooting line of the outdoor range, you could only see the top 1/3 of the A-frame of the roof structure the indoor range was in. It was an open 2 story structure.

The guy on the outdoor range fired one aimed shot at his target (hit where aimed) and as the gun angled up in the recoil, it cycled the action as designed and chambered a new round.

What went wrong was the gun somehow fired a second round, durning the recoil while the barrel was angled upwards, which hit part of the A-frame of the roof and richoched down into the indoor firing range, killing a shooter on the line. He was standing on the extreme far end of the building away from the outdoor range.

There were multipule witnesses at both ends. They blamed the gun has having been "improperly modified" to soften the trigger pull.

It almost sounded to me like the real cause was the firing pin should have had a spring instead of being a free floater. But then I am just the "arm chair shootist" here, looking in my memory to over 12 years ago....

I wonder if the same could happen with the big bore boubles. Have the barrel elevated when it touched off with disastious results. I would have to be very confident in my ability to control the aim point of the barrel before I considered trying to double tap a big bore.

Personally, I would not use a range that was pointed back at anything, reguardless of how much dirt you dump between them. Murphy will eat you alive if you did....

If they had been on a range where it was pointed to no where and not a building, nothing would have happened.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Lew
    As a second point, the A-frame was reported as having "multiple" bullet holes in it. Sounds like they were due for an accident.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Doubling can happen and has i never have but have come close look at this pic you will see how doubling happens

got to find the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I would have to be very confident in my ability to control the aim point of the barrel before I considered trying to double tap a big bore.
    I don't think _anyone_ would intentionally try to double a .500mag!

The incidents that we are discussing are accidental, or at least unintentional!

There would be no way to control the point of impact if you were to double a .500. Judging from the video, it would seem most likely to fire the 2nd shot at about a 30 degree up angle, and that was a compensated 8" barrel.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Cant find the pic but what happens is the gun can recoil pretty hard and your trigger finger cant keep up even though you are thinking keep trigger back it doesn't always happen that way as you trigger finger contracts again the gun doubles

usually people who are not used to a heavy hitter like this usually double even when i got my 500 till i got used to it the pics show my finger backed off trigger as it recoils and i have seen cylinder unlocked but after a box i no longer have that problem

This is the 500 in Recoil

To everyone thanks, looks like the key word here is practice, practice,practice. I can't wait for Santa to visit my house and then Kaboooom!!!!!!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Links