LAPD shoot civilians???

This is a discussion on LAPD shoot civilians??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If someone else asked this already, sorry i couldn't find it. Read on the local news station today that LAPD shot at civilians because they ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: LAPD shoot civilians???

LAPD shoot civilians???

If someone else asked this already, sorry i couldn't find it.

Read on the local news station today that LAPD shot at civilians because they were in a pickup truck similar to that of a suspect. They have released no comments about this. so has anyone heard anything more? And in that situation when cops just start shooting at you for no reason, what do you do? Hide? shoot back? Will those cops be punished? and in general WHAT THE HELL IS WHONG WITH THEM!?!?!?

RIGHT NOW: Massive Manhunt On For Ex-Cop Accused Of Killing 3 - KHQ Right Now - News and Weather for Spokane and North Idaho |
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

2. Remove Ads

Note that the actual suspect is in a Nissan Titan and this was a Toyota Tacoma. So pretty much any blue pick-up truck is fair game.
    Buckeye00 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

And they want to take our guns away
    crossfireltd likes this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Los Angeles officers guarding a "target" named in the posting shot and wounded two women in suburban Torrance who were in a pickup but were not involved, authorities said. It's not clear if the target is a person or a location. Beck said one woman was in stable condition with two gunshot wounds and the other was being released after treatment.

"Tragically we believe this was a case of mistaken identity by the officers," Beck said.

Calif. Officer Killed, Another Critical After Shootout With Former LAPD Officer

No. It was not "mistaken identity".
    It was a total lack of positively identifying a (potential) target.
    I understand the nerves, but it is no excuse to fire on anything without a positive ID.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    Read on the local news station today that LAPD shot at civilians because they were in a pickup truck similar to that of a suspect.
    If truly shots were taken due to seeing a similar truck, that's extremely bad and unjustifiable.

I'm betting, though, that in reality shots were taken because they (a) thought the vehicle was the one they were seeking AND (b) the driver failed to pull over and stop when ordered to do so. Still, in a heated "cop killer" chase, anything's possible.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

how can 2 women be thought to ba a large bald man? they were probably jumpy, but still those two now have the right to sue the crap out of lapd

VIP Member
    There are trigger happy, bumbling boobs in any occupation.
    It just gets a bit more dicey when they are employed as police officers for the largest city on the Left Coast.

Hopefully this will remain an isolated incident, and those responsible will recieve squirt guns as replacements for their service weapons.
    If not, perhaps city hall will mandate they empty their pistols, and keep one round in their shirt pocket; just in case.
    Bark'n, Ghost1958, rson63 and 1 others like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    If not, perhaps city hall will mandate they empty their pistols, and keep one round in their shirt pocket; just in case.
    Good ole Barny Fife

this is from LAPD
    **BLUE ALERT** Law Enforcement is looking for murder suspect Christopher Dorner. He was driving a blue 2005 Nissan Titan pickup with CA license plate 7X03191. Dorner has prior LAPD and military experience and should be considered extremely ARMED & DANGEROUS. If seen, call 911 (do not approach).

395735_446226772117692_1333974024_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If truly shots were taken due to seeing a similar truck, that's extremely bad and unjustifiable.

I'm betting, though, that in reality shots were taken because they (a) thought the vehicle was the one they were seeking AND (b) the driver failed to pull over and stop when ordered to do so. Still, in a heated "cop killer" chase, anything's possible.
    Sad thing is, there were two incidents of police in Torrance shooting at blue pickups..
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Any chance of Mods merging the threads? Thanks.

Good grief!!
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm going to have to agree with the posts so far. I usually am unwilling to second guess the man at the scene. I have had to make life and death decision in the blink of an eye. I fully agree with what the USSC says, "Quite reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an upturned knife."

However, in day time, mistaking two women in a dark truck for a 33 year old black man in a Nissan is pretty unexcusable IMHO.
    oneshot and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Note that the actual suspect is in a Nissan Titan and this was a Toyota Tacoma. So pretty much any blue pick-up truck is fair game.
    I'm glad I live in FL -- I drive a blue Tacoma!

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    And in that situation when cops just start shooting at you for no reason, what do you do? Hide? shoot back?
    This^

Would they have had justifiable reason to return fire at the police?

I had wondered something along these lines before when reading about SWAT breaking into the wrong house. Would you be locked up for simply defending yourself? After all, you're innocent and are under attack in threat of your life. It would be justifiable with anyone else, but the police?

Is there any case to set precident?

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    No. It was not "mistaken identity".
    It was a total lack of positively identifying a (potential) target.
    I understand the nerves, but it is no excuse to fire on anything without a positive ID.

dan
    100% agreed

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links