Newb with sight picture issues

This is a discussion on Newb with sight picture issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title implies I am a new shooter, but having a sight picture problem and canít figure out how to fix it. I have ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By DaveInEdmonds

Thread: Newb with sight picture issues

As the title implies I am a new shooter, but having a sight picture problem and canít figure out how to fix it.

I have a Springfield XD 9 subcompact, and a Ruger LCP/Lasermax. When I shoot the Ruger I lose my sight picture when I move my finger from the slide to the trigger. I have been doing to dry fire practice with the laser on to see how steady my hold is. When I move my finger to the trigger, I have a thumbs forward grip, the gun pulls to the right, at 10 ft it will move about 4-6 inches. What makes it even stranger is my shots are left of the target. Using a police match sheet, aiming center I am usually at the edge of 9 into the 8 and slightly high at the same 10ft distance. I donít seem to have the same issue on the XD.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Pistol Correction Chart
    http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartR1S.pdf (right hand)

http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartL1S.pdf (left hand)

Welcome to the forum.............
    wishyouwell likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

First thing, ditch the laser. You will NEVER be able to hold it steady and it is incredibly distracting to a novice shooter.
    OldVet likes this.

You've got the right idea with dry fire practice. Keep it up, it'll pay off. You just need to train your hand to move your finger without disturbing your grip. It will take some time but it will come together with practice.

Distinguished Member
    I have believed and practiced (atleast for SD purposes) that by the time you are bringing the gun into your sight picture, your finger SHOULD already be on the trigger.

Look up Paul Gomez (RIP) on youtube, has some great videos. Lots of others as well.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Welcome from Florida

VIP Member
    So you loose your sight picture? Reaquire after you put you finger on the trigger. Problem solved. You probably aren't as steady as you think you are.

Your other problem sounds like it is a trigger control issue. Most likely you are yanking on the trigger thereby shifting your point of impact.

Work on your trigger control. Lots more dry fire is my recommendation.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    You've got the right idea with dry fire practice. Keep it up, it'll pay off. You just need to train your hand to move your finger without disturbing your grip. It will take some time but it will come together with practice.
    Well thats good it sounds like I am doing everything right then, I ordered some snap caps too so hopefully that will help as well. I don't actually use the laser when actually shooting, I just this is is cool to have :)

Thanks for the feed back!

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I have believed and practiced (atleast for SD purposes) that by the time you are bringing the gun into your sight picture, your finger SHOULD already be on the trigger.

Look up Paul Gomez (RIP) on youtube, has some great videos. Lots of others as well.
    Thats interesting, that seems to go against everything I have read or was taught in any of the class. I will have to check that out!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    So you loose your sight picture? Reaquire after you put you finger on the trigger. Problem solved. You probably aren't as steady as you think you are.

Your other problem sounds like it is a trigger control issue. Most likely you are yanking on the trigger thereby shifting your point of impact.

Work on your trigger control. Lots more dry fire is my recommendation.
    Most definitely not steady :) still working on that! Appreciate the insight!

Links