Firearm Self Defence Insurance

This is a discussion on Firearm Self Defence Insurance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recent treads seem to take umbrage with a Conceal Carry Permit/licensee having insurance! I have the NRA endorsed Self Defense Insurance: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry Self Defense Insurance?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 9.09%
  • No

60 90.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Firearm Self Defence Insurance

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Recent treads seem to take umbrage with a Conceal Carry Permit/licensee having insurance! I have the NRA endorsed Self Defense Insurance: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage

I also belong to the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network.

I'm just wondering how many members carry the Self Defence Insurance?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I have thought about it. I live in a pretty gun friendly state (I think we hand out more cwp than any other state), and that has been what has kept me from doing it so far.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

I don't know of any reason,i need self defense insurance in S.C.,but some may.Its good to be able to get it,thou,if a person thinks they do,need some.

Liability insurance insures you in the event that you are found liable by the courts. If you have no assets nor any hope of ever having any, then liability insurance is a waste of money. That's why the guy who hits your car and has no insurance also doesn't have anything of value to go after.

Assuming that you do have some assets and you are involved in a shooting incident, whether you like it or not, you can just about count on ending up in court. Only a fool relies on castle doctrine to protect him. That, of course, is just my opinion. I'm not an attorney or an insurance salesman.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I'm sure the Insurance Lobby would like to have self defense liability Insurance mandated by law in every state.......
    Spirit51 likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

lol yea i bet they would to.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Two things I need before I buy... does it come with a get out of jail free card... and who can I shoot and be covered?
    dben002 likes this.

Be sure you understand the coverage in any insurance or ore paid legal arrangement. You may find that you are not covered if you made a bad judgment. If you are completely in the right it would only make sense depending on if you are in a mostly anti jurisdiction.

Having knowledge, training and being very conservative in your use of firearms is more important than having an attorney/ insurance on retainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Like the OP, both. If you have to defend yourself and someone is killed or injured, you are going to need a lawyer. To get a lawyer, you need money.

Assuming you have the three things ^^^^^^^^^^ in the above post, you are still going to need a lawyer and money if someone is killed or injured in the shooting. All the more reason to have sound legal counsel and the resources to help avoid a miscarriage of justice
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I work in the insurance biz, and I took a quick look at the certificate posted on the site. Some observations:
    Coverage is ONLY for criminal defense. No coverage for civil defense (lawsuit by the surviving offender or their family).
    Coverage is ONLY available if you are acquitted, found not guilty, etc. OF ALL CHARGES.

So, say you are charged with manslaughter or even murder 2 and your lawyer gets you a plea deal down to a misdemeanor or something and you take the deal - you get no $$$ from the policy.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    I work in the insurance biz, and I took a quick look at the certificate posted on the site. Some observations:
    Coverage is ONLY for criminal defense. No coverage for civil defense (lawsuit by the surviving offender or their family).
    Coverage is ONLY available if you are acquitted, found not guilty, etc. OF ALL CHARGES.

So, say you are charged with manslaughter or even murder 2 and your lawyer gets you a plea deal down to a misdemeanor or something and you take the deal - you get no $$$ from the policy.
    The follow paragraph seem to disagree with your statement above.

B. LEGALLY POSSESSED FIREARM:
    DEFENSE, SETTLEMENT, SUPPLEMENTARY PAYMENTS.
    With respect to any “act of self defense” covered under this policy, but not covered under any other valid and collectible insurance, Underwriters shall:
    (i) Defend any suit against the “Individual Insured Member” alleging such “bodily injury” or “property damage” and seeking “damages” on account thereof, even if such suit is groundless, false or fraudulent; but Underwriters shall have the right to make such investigation and negotiate a settlement of any......

Then again I'm, parden the pun, a little gun shy when it come to legal issues as I seen numberous law suit from the families of the BGs.
    Chorizo likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I also belong to the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. Do not, as of now, have the NRA Endorsed Self Defense Liabilty.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post

Well even if you were cleared of all charges and set free...they would probably classify it as an Act of God and if it were raining they would add "during a flood" and pay nothing anyway....That's sorta how it works is it not ???
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Recent treads seem to take umbrage with a Conceal Carry Permit/licensee having insurance! I have the NRA endorsed Self Defense Insurance: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage

I also belong to the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network.

I'm just wondering how many members carry the Self Defence Insurance?
    I carry self defense insurance every day. It's called a Walther PPQ.
    multistage and Momokahn like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Anything of value is in my and my wife's name.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links