AR-15 22LR becoming available - is it worth it?

This is a discussion on AR-15 22LR becoming available - is it worth it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So in the last day or two, I've seen a couple different AR-15's available, both of which are .22 cal. I'm wondering if it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR-15 22LR becoming available - is it worth it?

AR-15 22LR becoming available - is it worth it?

So in the last day or two, I've seen a couple different AR-15's available, both of which are .22 cal. I'm wondering if it is worth buying? One for instance, is a Mossberg for 349.95.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I was less than impressed with the Mossberg "AR 22".
    If you run across a S&W M&P15-22, that's a much better choice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I have had no personal experience with the Mossbergs but I do have a good friend that works at a nearby gun store and he does not reccomend them. I asked him about them a couple days ago because I was interested in one myself but he quickly shot my thoughts down when he told me many of his customers that had bought them were not happy with them. I don't know exactly what they were unhappy with because he didn't go into details but he was quick not to reccomend them and that was enough for me.

Bud's has had both the M&P and the Mossberg available on their web site for a long.time, the M&P is around $600 though.

For this type of rifle, I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying to get a larger caliber.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Why don't you buy a regular ar that shoots 223/556. Six hundred dollars for a 22LR is lot of cabbage
    for a non target grade rifle .I have no experience with ar vareant ut I own mossberg semi-auto that
    a hoot to shoot. It loads from the butt of the stock.It has beautiful wood and I paid $140.My other mossberg
    was my first rifle model36b bolt action.This was made from 193o's to early 1950's. I found mossberg quality
    very good for the money.

Of course, then I also found this.

56988_default.jpg

$588.01 7.62x39 Sling Point firearms "high quality rifle based on the famous AK-47 design." (Funny, why don't they just say replica?)

So many decisions!

My friend, name not mentioned here, says the 22 mag is the caliber that his dept fears the most, because of the size it will penetrate a kevlar vest,....................

Let me guess - lower weight + higher velocity = more penetration power?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    My friend, name not mentioned here, says the 22 mag is the caliber that his dept fears the most, because of the size it will penetrate a kevlar vest,....................
    The diameter of a .223/5.56 isn't much bigger than the .22mag, and it has a lot more power, so why the .22 fear? For that matter there are a lot of rounds in that category. 22-250, 222, 22 hornet, 22 swift 17 hmr, and probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Of course, then I also found this.

56988_default.jpg

$588.01 7.62x39 Sling Point firearms "high quality rifle based on the famous AK-47 design." (Funny, why don't they just say replica?)

So many decisions!
    I really like that caliber, but I don't know anything about the weapon. 5.56 and 7.62x39 VS 2 55 Gallon steel barrels, sealed - YouTube

...I would take the money and buy two Ruger 10/22 w/25 round Ruger mags...excellent for home defense for even a timid lady or young kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I would take the money and buy two Ruger 10/22 w/25 round Ruger mags...excellent for home defense for even a timid lady or young kids...
    Hopefully the BG's aren't wearing vests,but that is why it's important to have a red dot installed and the ability to get head shots on target,In most cases once the first shots go off the BG's can't get out of dodge fast enough.

If you really want to get an AR platform wait til the panic subsides and get an AR in 5.56 then either buy a 22 conversion kit or a dedicated 22lr upper you just have to pull the takedown pins and swap them out to have a cheap plinker
    nontechguy likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I own the S&W AR 15-22. It is a hoot to shoot.

When I purchased this rifle for $500, there was also the Mossberg replica on sale for about $260 (this was about a month ago). The dealer said flat out that the Mossberg was more of a "toy". What that means, I'm not really sure about. Maybe more show and not go?

I'd get a .223 model if I could, but the only one around is running at $2500, which is outside of my budget.

My nephew bought the Mossberg AR in 22LR for his son this past Christmas. We went to the range and shot it and he had all kinds of problems with failure to fire (FTF). Had at least one ftf with each magazine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links