Anyone ever tried Heavy Grips to improve grip strength for shooting?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever tried Heavy Grips to improve grip strength for shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A range buddy of mine turned me on to Heavy Grips and I'm getting great results - here's my review: Review of the Heavy Grips ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeddJohnson

Thread: Anyone ever tried Heavy Grips to improve grip strength for shooting?

A range buddy of mine turned me on to Heavy Grips and I'm getting great results - here's my review:

Review of the Heavy Grips Hand Grippers | ThruMyLens

Please do let me know your thoughts, particularly if you use these!

-John

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I bought a pair of cheap ones from a sporting goods store. Keep one in my car for traffic (helps with stress) and one in the office (for when I'm on hold or get stressed.)

I also lift quite frequently and incorporate forearm exercises. (Hammer curls, reverse grip curls, wrist curls) and it has definitely increased my grip strength. It has definitely helped with shooting. More or less handling the recoil.

VIP Member
    Interesting. Is there some kind of kit I can buy somewhere to attach them to my pistol?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

workout tip for gripper training for pistol use

Hi. I recently did a short instructional video for developing grip strength for pistol shooting by squeezing grippers so I thought I would share it here.

I also have a full article on the subject showing other training methods at my website, however, the forum rules made it seem like posting the link might be considered spamming and I do not want to do that, so if you'd like more info, please feel free to view the video directly on youtube and check out the link in the description box.

I hope this helps you out getting better crossover from the gripper training you are doing to the pistol shooting you are doing.

Thanks,

Jedd Johnson
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I bought a pair of cheap ones from a sporting goods store. Keep one in my car for traffic (helps with stress) and one in the office (for when I'm on hold or get stressed.)

I also lift quite frequently and incorporate forearm exercises. (Hammer curls, reverse grip curls, wrist curls) and it has definitely increased my grip strength. It has definitely helped with shooting. More or less handling the recoil.
    Do yourself a favor and ditch the cheap ones - they're doing nothing for you beyond keeping your hands busy.

I lift frequently do - and while (depending on what exercises you do) you maybe be indirectly increasing your grips strength, using a product like this will have a direct impact.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolex_John View Post
    Do yourself a favor and ditch the cheap ones - they're doing nothing for you beyond keeping your hands busy.

I lift frequently do - and while (depending on what exercises you do) you maybe be indirectly increasing your grips strength, using a product like this will have a direct impact.
    Yeah, I know... :(

My "fun" budget has been dedicated to ammo and saving for AR parts when things calm down. The cheap ones were a good start, but I'm going to follow your advice and get a decent pair when I can.

...back in the 70s, I bought the strongest of the three strengths offered by my local sporting goods store...wooden grips...later versions had plastic grips...they were inexpensive...I did sets of 50 per hand about 6-7 times in the course of a 8-hour graveyard shift of patrol...I tell you they're NOT worthless...my wrists and forearms were like rocks and I had a grip like never before...less than $8 for the pair...
    ...are these new ones better/more challenging?

A guy at work carries one around in his pocket and I finally asked if he was a shooter. He just said "huh?". I asked again if he was a pistol shooter and mentioned I noticed his hand exerciser. He just looked at me funny and said he uses it when he was bored. lol.

Links