Charter Arms Mag Pug (Model 73520)

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Mag Pug (Model 73520) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have a 1st hand review of this Charter Arms .357 Mag? A coworker is wanting to sell it, and my wife is looking ...

Thread: Charter Arms Mag Pug (Model 73520)

Charter Arms Mag Pug (Model 73520)

Does anyone have a 1st hand review of this Charter Arms .357 Mag? A coworker is wanting to sell it, and my wife is looking for a good carry gun.

Okay I will fess up, I am looking for something for her to test.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

I have that exact model (73520- Stainless, 2.2 inch barrel) that you are looking at.

I posted a review of my Mag Pug on this forum.
    Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 review

I like the Mag Pug, and it grew on me more after that initial review. It has a cool, "jalopy" quality that I just can't explain. However, I did have to file down the front sight almost 1 mm to get it to shot to point of aim. Also, I don't much care for the ported barrel on the gun because it spits powder back at me, mainly when shooting .357 rounds. I do think that the "spitting" has abated to a large extent. Perhaps the bottom of the ports weren't relieved enough and the ports need a "break in" of sorts. I don't know, and certainly am not an expert on ported guns.

I really like the ergonomics of the Mag Pug. This litle gun just feels great in the hand. Also, it is only 20 ounces and carries great. The size is very similar to a Colt Detective Special. BTW, even though small and light, I really didn't think it was too bad shooting .357s in this gun. My S&W 642's recoil when shooting .38 +P is far worse.

I'd recommend trying out the gun if possible. If the price is right, and you like the way it shoots, get it. I own Both the Mag Pug as well as the Bulldog, and like them both (I LOVE the Bulldog). I also have some vintage Charter Arms revolvers. All work just fine for me. Another option would be the Police Undercover .38. It is a 6-shooter .38 with the exact same dimensions as the Mag Pug. It doesn't have the ported barrel.

Pictured is my Mag Pug wearing the tiny wood grips of the small, 5-shot Charter Undercover. All Charters have the same grips frame, and you can exchange grips between all models. The Pachmayr "Compac" grips in the second pic are also very nice with this gun. I just like the small wood grips for concealment. My holster is a Gould & Goodrich belt slide holster that was intended for both the Detective Special and Ruger SP101. It works very well with the light Charter and only ran me 25 bucks.

Good luck!

charter_wood_gripz.jpg

mag_pug.jpg
    Last edited by lowercase; February 11th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Links