Best experience buying a gun

This is a discussion on Best experience buying a gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At Gander Mountain of all places. Now I told myself years ago that I would never buy another firearm from Gander because of their service ...

Thread: Best experience buying a gun

Best experience buying a gun

At Gander Mountain of all places. Now I told myself years ago that I would never buy another firearm from Gander because of their service and high prices. But they were having a sale and the store by my work had a Beretta Neos 6" for 249.99. So I went there. Talked to a great sales associate that was very sharp and polite. They also had some bulk .22lr on sale that was flying off the shelves so the guy RAN halfway across the store to get me one of the last boxes (1600 rounds CCI for 99.99). The application was smooth and super fast because they use computers now for the application part of it. Background check was quick and I was out the door in a half hour with a brand new plinker and 1600 rounds of ammo for less than 375.00. I thought I made out pretty good considering the market right now. Very happy and I cant wait to shoot this thing! Kudos Gander Mountain.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I remember buying a Ruger Blackhawk in North Pole, Alaska, back in the early 80s. Don't recall any BG check or waiting period, laid out the cash and walked out the door with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I suppose even GM get's it right every now and then. Glad you had a positive experience. Looking forward to pictures and a range report.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    When I purchased my second G19 a year ago I went in to one of my LGS's, pointed to what I wanted, gave them my license, CCW, and debit card and the transaction was over in about 5 minutes. He thanked me for being such an easy sale and threw in an extra mag.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I wouldn't say it was the best experience I've had, but I bought a gun there a while back and I'd agree it was a decent experience. I do find Gander to be pretty hit and miss. Sometimes I feel like the person working is really knowledgeable, other times I feel like I am teaching them. Their ammo is also way overpriced compared to other stores.

My best experience has been at a small gun shop here recently. Quick and easy, and the salesman took my number so they could let me know if and when they get more mags in for the gun I bought. I don't have high hopes, but it was a nice gesture and the kind of thing that doesn't happen at a Gander or Scheel's.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    We have a general store thats our local gun shop too. They stock around 450 firearms. Great cross section of brands and calibers from benelli to high point. I have on 3 different occasions he has tried to find a hot seller for me and find none in there normal wholsellers stock. He will say , give me some time and if one out there I will call you only to get a call the next day say'n they found one in some remote gun shop or wholsaler and work out a trade or only need to pay an extra 5 bucks shipping. That last rifle rifle was an m&p sport that still only cost me 605 and had to come cross country. He sells every firearm at 10% over his cost. One offs cost a little more than one of a 150 but not much more. My latest TP40 was 563 , m&p9c was 486 wifes bersa 380 CC was 260. Just a good general store. Owners not even a gun guy, just a great person and saleman.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I went into Fleet Farm knowing nearly nothing about handguns, I was debating between the M&P 9, Glock 19, or an XD for my first purchase. They didn't have an XD, so I held the M&P and Glock (Immediately knew I wanted the M&P after holding it). I was talking to one of the employees for a long time and he gave me some great advice/recommendations. After discussing what I was looking for in a handgun he highly recommended that I get a revolver instead of the M&P or Glock and gave me some very good reasons why. I still ended up getting the M&P and he helped me choose good SD ammo for it (Gold Dots, which I also knew nothing about at the time), but that conversation changed my opinion of revolvers and will most likely lead to me buying one in the future.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I've had nothing but good experiences at the Gander Mountain near me. Good knowledgable staff and willing to take the time to show you what you want to look at even if they know you aren't buying that day. I can't say the same for the Bass Pro near me or usually, my LGS either. Both generally have staff behind the counter that are "too busy" to even look your direction and acknowledge your presence much less take the time to help you look at anything under the glass. I've bought three firearms from that Gander and if I'm in the market again before I move from the area, I'll probably buy from them again.

Links