USAA Insurance

This is a discussion on USAA Insurance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 27 years Army and never once was USAA anywhere near the best deal on any insurance Not once. They still send ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: USAA Insurance

Re: USAA Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    27 years Army and never once was USAA anywhere near the best deal on any insurance Not once.
    They still send me offers but when I check them they are a lot higher than what I pay else where.
    Example on my bike with no tickets they are are 200 dollars higher.
    Shop around.
    I was under the impression that USAA does not offer motorcycle insurance. When I brought mine in 2009 they referred me to Geico. Naturally Geico was more expensive so I went with Allstate. I do have USAA for my homeowners insurance though. I'll have to call them up to see if mine includes firearms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Bear in mind that USAA is an Association, owned by the policyholders. It is not a corporation, and as such, is not under pressure to give a return to shareholders.

This is the reason you usually get an annual dividend check from them - that represents a portion of any profit the Association makes. Some of the profit is held in reserve and invested, in order to pay members' claims.

When you compare prices, you need to keep that dividend check in mind to get a true estimate of the cost of your insurance. You also need to factor in the level of service you get, and the fact that this Association is very much dedicated to members of the Armed forces and their families.

I've been a member since I was a cadet.

If you are an NRA member (and you darn well better be!) then you also have some firearms coverage from them.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

USAA Insurance

There are others insurance companies that charge less but their coverage is worse and customer service is worse. USAA is probably the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    USAA gave me the song and dance letters that said that they could beat my present coverages. I asked for a quote based on my present coverages with GEICO, it took about three weeks and their quote was $208 cheaper but half the liability coverages. I have had GEICO for a total of 44 years and plan on keeping them.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I'm a lucky Florida USAA customer (grandfathered). Best insurance for sure, and I, too have had other companies sigh when they hear we have USAA. :). Tried to switch to them for banking a few years ago...big mistake. Their deposits didn't become available for like 4-5 days. Get with the 2010s! All my insurance is with tem, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    USAA gave me the song and dance letters that said that they could beat my present coverages. I asked for a quote based on my present coverages with GEICO, it took about three weeks and their quote was $208 cheaper but half the liability coverages. I have had GEICO for a total of 44 years and plan on keeping them.
    Ask for it with the same coverages. Depending on what it is, it very well could still be cheaper. You'd be surprised at how little coverage increases are at times. Also, remember that you're getting renewal credits with Geico. If you have 44 years worth of renewal credits and USAA can match the quote with no renewal credits, then Geico's been overcharging you for 44 years.

(Okay, that's going a little too far, but it sounded good).

Anyone else - just remember one thing. IF you tell an insurance company that you own guns, make SURE that you also tell them that you (1) own a safe, (2) lock your weapons in your safe, and (3) lock your ammo up either somewhere else, or in a separate compartment with it's own lock in the safe. There are plenty of insurance companies that will decline you for coverage if you do not do those three things. I know of one in particular that I won't mention here.

USAA Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by DesignDawg View Post
    I'm a lucky Florida USAA customer (grandfathered). Best insurance for sure, and I, too have had other companies sigh when they hear we have USAA. :). Tried to switch to them for banking a few years ago...big mistake. Their deposits didn't become available for like 4-5 days. Get with the 2010s! All my insurance is with tem, though.
    You might give them another look. I can deposit checks by taking a photo of them with my iPhone (android works as well), and the funds are immediately available.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    27 years Army and never once was USAA anywhere near the best deal on any insurance Not once.
    They still send me offers but when I check them they are a lot higher than what I pay else where.
    Example on my bike with no tickets they are are 200 dollars higher.
    Shop around.
    Strange. They wouldn't insure my motorcycle either, but with three cars they are at least as cheap as any other company I have found. Even if they weren't, I would stay with them. It's rare to find a company that concerns itself with customer service first.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

I have had USAA since I joined the Army in 2001. Thet are awesome

I have recently swithched to USAA and their rates were comparable to others in my area foe auto. I saved $200 per year on three autos with a teen driver. I saved $1200 per year with higher coverage limits and jewelry coverage on the homeowners. It was a no brainier for me. Sorry I didnt switch earlier. I haven't filed a clam with them but my Buddy says hands down their the best. I got to pick mt deductible rates as well. My past carrier kept raising my deductible and was with them 15 years and never filed a claim. I'm paying less for more.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Yep, I got all my wifes jewelry and guns insured through them back in November before I deployed. My auto and renters insurance is all through them. I have never had such cheap insurance rates from anywhere. I will say though that the auto loan they TRIED to give me was ridiculous with my credit rating so I had to go to another company for an auto loan.

We have always had a great experience with USAA. I also didn't know they'd cover guns, so I'll have to give them a call and see about getting that added.

Been with USAA for about three years now and have loved it. Their assistance in the home buying process is outstanding!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Another +1 for USAA. I've got renters insurance for everything. They did not hassle me on living in fl. I guess I'll have to recheck that. And guess it is time to call them cause the gun collection is growing ;). They have always been prompt and great to deal with.

We've been with USAA since 1980. I could likely save a few bucks elsewhere, but I won't sacrifice the customer service. I have never had an issue or claim that took more than one phone call. When my son came home from boot camp for 10 days of leave, I called USAA to put insurance back on his car that was in storage... The rep said, "not gonna write it up, I've noted a verbal binder that will cover him for the 10 days. If you need us call, if you don't, I'll rescind the binder in 10 days...no charge... thank your son for his service."

I'll not consider any other company for my insurance/financial needs. During all the economic problems of late, my USAA tools have always shown a profit. Works for me.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I have been using USAA for over 20 years. I have their insurance on my cars, home and we also carry their life insurance.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links