Removed the series 80 system from a couple of my 1911's

This is a discussion on Removed the series 80 system from a couple of my 1911's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a malfunction in my GSG 1911 22LR at the range a few weeks ago,I've never been a big fan of the Firing Pin ...

Thread: Removed the series 80 system from a couple of my 1911's

Removed the series 80 system from a couple of my 1911's

I had a malfunction in my GSG 1911 22LR at the range a few weeks ago,I've never been a big fan of the Firing Pin Block system and I carry a series 80 Colt CC XSE daily.Even tho I sent the gun away to get a #4 trigger job it was never as good a trigger as my RIA compact 1911 that doesn't have the series 80 crap.Anyhow during the detailed disassembly I thought that I had lost the top part of the frame pieces,I was doing some research and discovered they make a spacer to replace the series 80 parts in the frame.
    They said not only does it remove the extra parts that could be a problem if ever installed wrong,but may even end up with a better trigger.
    So I found the parts on Brownells and ordered 2 spacers,one for the GSG and one for my Colt depending on how the GSG turned out,after installing the spacer in the GSG and removing the firing pin block in the slide and the Magazine disconnect in the Mainspring housing,the guns grip safety operated much smoother and the trigger was a lot smoother.
    I then replaced the stuff with the spacer in my Colt and noticed the trigger was a lot better even after the trigger job,I plan on putting some rounds down range with both tomorrow.
    The shims are fairly cheap $4.99 +S&H and come in some different thicknesses so you can get as close as possible to the thickness of the parts.
    TJ'S 1911 SERIES '80 TO SERIES '70 CONVERSION SHIMS | Brownells
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just a personal note Duke--- I'm jealous. I'm lucky I can get the slide and recoil springs back in place.
    I've no clue what that other stuff is or how to work on it.

Hope it turns out great for you when you get to try it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I did the same thing with my Series 80 Colts.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Links