Sooo.. Whats your take?

This is a discussion on Sooo.. Whats your take? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So with all the gun news happining, alot of the arguments i hear from the anti gun-nuts is "why do you need a ar-15 with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Sooo.. Whats your take?

Sooo.. Whats your take?

So with all the gun news happining, alot of the arguments i hear from the anti gun-nuts is "why do you need a ar-15 with a 30 round mag, or why do you need a supressor, why do you need a bull-pup shotgun that holds 15 rounds, why do you need a rifle that can shoot a mile? One day i seriously considered the question and i found myself comparing it to any other hobby.. why do the rich have that GIANT house, or five cars, or spend more on clothes then i make in a month.. why does the car enthusiest need the 5.0 turbo big bore run a 1/4 mile in 8 seconds car, why do people get private pilots licenses when have no intention of flying for a living, why do World of Warcraft sit infront of a computer 9 hours a day and a million other similar things, ad nausium..

because we can. I like guns because I think hurling 230 grains of jacketed lead is pretty darn cool, competeing against one another for marksman, top shot, speed shooting, is fun and supports comraderie in fellow man.

anti gun nuts would like to think that more restrictions, harsher background checks, even confiscation, would solve the proplem of gun violence in america. well, it goes hand in hand with responsibility, just like everything in life.. we give licenenses to 16 year old kids to pilot 2000 pounds of metal, with nothing more then a written test and a field exam, how many people do you think could be killed or injured by one reckless driver who is hell bent on doing damage to society.. but you dont see the politicians trying to impose new vehicle restrictions, or trying to blame auto manufactures for vehicular homicide, or forceing the manufacturers to govern the speed of the car in certain areas. so when im asked why do you want an AR-15 or a SCAR 17, i ask why do you want that BMW or LEXUS, why do you want 5 bathrooms, why do you want that 30,000 Harley.... theres nothing in the constitution that gives you the right to own a car, or a house as big as a hotel..

soo what do you guys say when your asked why you want a gun?

2. Remove Ads

Because it's not "The Bill of NEEDS" it's "The Bill of RIGHTS".
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I want em, I need em, my right to have em in whatever form or shape I want. Next question?
    ZOMBIEvs42 and msgt/ret like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

"Who said anything about need?"
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I've had this conversation no less than 14 times in the last couple of months. I'll skip the details of the play-by-play but here's the Cliff's Notes outline:

- Nobody NEEDS alcohol, cigarettes, cars that go 100 mph+, monster trucks, auto racing, 9 kids (China's govt only lets their citizens have ONE), $100K luxury and sports cars, breast impants (ok, medically some do need them), face lifts, etc.

What if the govt decides nobody NEEDS to have more than $200,000 in cash and investments and they decide to confiscate anything over that amount? It's not about needs, but there are circumstances with multiple attackers when it sure comes in handy.

When the government starts allocating our rights to us based on NEED, we're all in trouble. Words, as the vehicle for ideology, have caused more carnage in the world than anything else. Who NEEDS the right to say anything??? Who gets to determine what everyone else NEEDS?
    msgt/ret, KBSR, Ksgunner and 1 others like this.

I have encountered these same questions. Never mind self defense, especially for women living alone and contending with multiple assailants. Never mind ranchers in border states fending off drug mules, members of drug cartels, or increasingly bold illegal aliens when the police are many miles away due to the rural nature of TX, NM, AZ, or parts of CA. Contrary to a recent Piers Morgan interview with a Senator from TX, whom Piers AGAIN would not allow to fully respond to questions, ranchers in border states must face these threats almost daily.

I am sometimes amazed at how self-centered people can be with the mind-set, "If I have no need of (this or that) no one else has a real need, either."

So, yes, there are legitimate needs for the guns you mentioned. That, coupled with our 2A right makes for valid responses.
    Last edited by Jackster; February 10th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Why do they need to bother us gun owners?

Like Judge Napolotano said......We are entitled to have the same weaponry a Tryrannical Gov't would use against us...we can't fight'em with slingshots.....now can we.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    The most common question I hear is "why would someone need an assault rifle" (i.e., AR-15). Here is my response.

1) An AR-15 is not an assault rifle, certainly not a "military" assault rifle. I know there are many current and former military in this forum who served (thank you!) in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in other areas where your life was in danger. If I gave you my civilian, semi-automatic, AR-15 would you feel you were adequately armed? I think I know the answer. An M-16 and an AR-15 are NOT the same firearm.

2) An AR-15 is a superb home/personal defense firearm. Very accurate, effective for self-defense, reliable in all weather, and easy to maneuver in a home (thinking carbine here).

3) For those that argue that when the 2nd Amendment was ratified, people only had access to muskets. Well, the military only had the same musket technology when 2A was ratified. If we're talking about the purpose of the 2A (a free state) the "people" actually have taken many steps back technologically. It seems that even with the AR-15, civilians have less defensive ability than they had 300 years ago.

4) What do the anti-2A people mean by "need" and why do they even ask the question? The NEED is stated clearly and that is for "the security of a free state." Further, these rights are constitutionally protected such that this NEED shall not be infringed. I guess they neither understand why we have a bill of rights or understand the meaning of the word "infringed."

Get it now!?
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

If one would take the time to read and research the second amendment, using the federalist papers, it would become clear that the second amendment was meant for the defense of the United States from enemies both foreign and domestic. The intent was to arm those willing to defend the country with the latest weapons of the day that a common solder would carry today, that would be an AR15 with a 30 or more round magazine.

With the recent things that this current administration has done, it is no wonder that the citizens of this country have been recently polled to find that 65% and growing find that the second amendment means just what it says.
    BugDude, KoriBustard and msgt/ret like this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    The most common question I hear is "why would someone need an assault rifle" (i.e., AR-15). Here is my response.

1) An AR-15 is not an assault rifle, certainly not a "military" assault rifle. I know there are many current and former military in this forum who served (thank you!) in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in other areas where your life was in danger. If I gave you my civilian, semi-automatic, AR-15 would you feel you were adequately armed? I think I know the answer. An M-16 and an AR-15 are NOT the same firearm.
    Because of a little lever that says "burst" or "auto" that nobody ever uses?

VIP Member
    I need fifteen-round magazines because that is what my personal defense edc handguns came equipped with. I need 25-round rifle magazines because that is what my personal defense rifle came equipped with. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on that equipment, and thousands more on training to effectively utilize it. I therefore oppose any feel-good legislation which would render that gear illegal or non-transferable while doing less than nothing to enhance the overall safety of the general public.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    ...I am sometimes amazed at how self-centered people can be with the mind-set, "If I have no need of (this or that) no one else has a real need, either."...
    You have just stumbled upon the psyche of the far-left American Liberal. The only thing they can see beyond their own nose is someone else's pocket.

On a brighter note, it was so cold in New England today with the 3 feet of snow, it was reported that someone saw a liberal up there with his hands in his OWN pockets. Now THAT's cold!!!
    myrkr, msgt/ret and Jackster like this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Because of a little lever that says "burst" or "auto" that nobody ever uses?
    Civilian AR-15's do not have burst or auto modes. Or, did I miss your point?
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    This seems to be the concept the current Whitehouse cartel wants. And they will be the ones to determine who has what abilities and who will have their needs fulfilled.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.
    Carl Marx
    BugDude likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links