Polymer 45 decision made.

This is a discussion on Polymer 45 decision made. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After thinking about and reading about the various polymer 45 pistols on the market, I have come to a decision. I am going with the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Hoplyte

Thread: Polymer 45 decision made.

After thinking about and reading about the various polymer 45 pistols on the market, I have come to a decision. I am going with the M&P 45 and later the 45c. I am just trying to decide on the 4 inch or 4.5 inch barrel on the full size. Would I really lose much velocity with the 4 in barrel over the 4.5 in barrel? Input on pros and cons of each of the barrel lengths is welcome.

30sf.........................better choice....imo.

If you're going full-size (and since you will have a 45c I am assuming you won't be carrying/concealing this one?) why not get the 4.5" barrel? I am no ballistic expert, so I can't speak intelligently about the velocity lost from 4.5" to 4", but as a general rule the longer the barrel the more accurate you'll be with the gun.
    BamaT likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Carry is a possibility. I stand 5'10 and tip the scale around 200 lb. Losing weight, goal is around 175-180. Would it be doable?

Brad426, out of curiosity, I see that your avatar is U.K. Did you live in Lexington or go to U.K.? The Georgia location is throwing me off.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When considering a "full-size" handgun, I want the full size. For range and HD use, I prefer the longer sight radius. Carry is another issue altogether.
    BamaT likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When considering a "full-size" handgun, I want the full size. For range and HD use, I prefer the longer sight radius. Carry is another issue altogether.
    Like always, agreed.

If it's for HD having a shorter barrel length has no advantage over the longer barrel.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Brad426, out of curiosity, I see that your avatar is U.K. Did you live in Lexington or go to U.K.? The Georgia location is throwing me off.
    Carry is doable with the right clothing, but it won't be as easy as would be with the 45c (which is my EDC).

Yep, from Kentucky originally and went to UK. Go Cats!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Looking for spare mags as well. Probably up the creek on that endeavor, however.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    If you're going full-size (and since you will have a 45c I am assuming you won't be carrying/concealing this one?) why not get the 4.5" barrel? I am no ballistic expert, so I can't speak intelligently about the velocity lost from 4.5" to 4", but as a general rule the longer the barrel the more accurate you'll be with the gun.
    I'm with Brad on this, as well as OldVet. I have my range guns which also may double as home defense, and then I have my carry guns. But that's not to say you couldn't carry a 4.5" barreled gun. My son routinely carries his full size solid stainless 1911 .45 Kimber. But to do so you have to have a good holster and belt to support the heavier and bigger gun, and wear under a shirt or jacket. FYI, he's about 6', and weighs about 185. I don't see your size being as big of an issue as the holster and belt. The belt is just as important as the holster. A lot of people don't realize that.
    NRA Life Member

They beat Auburn so that's good.
    BamaT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    30sf.........................better choice....imo.
    I agree, I don't like the S&W factory trigger.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I bought a like new M&P from a firearms instructor who put an Apex in it and it shoots great with the trigger kit. I had a Glock 45 for a while and recoil is worse IMHO. I'm 59 with some athritis problems on my shooting hand and the M&P FS .45 is much more enjoyable to shoot. This isn't a knock on Glocks as they are great weapons loved by most.

For the moment when I'm out for walks in colder weather I just use an Elite IWB (#5) holster at 3 o'clock for right hand and drape a hockey shirt or small coat on and it's not too bad. The 4 inch barrel/slide might be slightly easier to carry.

They're not "approved" in Mass and I just missed out on a private sale a few weeks back on a 4' and then this deal popped up for the .45 FS with 4 mags and the Apex trigger kit...........As with the Glock, there are tons of options available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zork52 View Post
    I bought a like new M&P from a firearms instructor who put an Apex in it and it shoots great with the trigger kit. I had a Glock 45 for a while and recoil is worse IMHO. I'm 59 with some athritis problems on my shooting hand and the M&P FS .45 is much more enjoyable to shoot. This isn't a knock on Glocks as they are great weapons loved by most.

For the moment when I'm out for walks in colder weather I just use an Elite IWB (#5) holster at 3 o'clock for right hand and drape a hockey shirt or small coat on and it's not too bad. The 4 inch barrel/slide might be slightly easier to carry.

They're not "approved" in Mass and I just missed out on a private sale a few weeks back on a 4' and then this deal popped up for the .45 FS with 4 mags and the Apex trigger kit...........As with the Glock, there are tons of options available for it.
    +1 on the Apex kit. Put their sear and ultimate striker block in my M&P 9. Difference is incredible.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Carry is a possibility. I stand 5'10 and tip the scale around 200 lb. Losing weight, goal is around 175-180. Would it be doable?
    I am your same size. I carry A M&P 40 without a problem.

Links