Handgun Purchase in Arizona (first gun)

This is a discussion on Handgun Purchase in Arizona (first gun) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, first off I just want to say I love all the information I can get from this website. This is my first post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Handgun Purchase in Arizona (first gun)

Hi all, first off I just want to say I love all the information I can get from this website. This is my first post however, so dont judge me to harshly! Okay, so I moved to Arizona from Delaware a few weeks ago, and I live in a not so safe neighborhood. I've been around handguns for a few years and love to go to the range and shoot them. I'm looking into getting my own handgun (either a glock g19 or g27). I know you must have an Arizona drivers license to be able to purchase from an FFL. I'm not going back to the east coast for a while, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get my Arizona ID or wait until I get home. Or if their is another option that I just don't know about. Any advice would be awesome!
    Cheers

Depends how bad you want it. I know what I would do if I thought my neighborhood was not safe. I would get it now.
    .45acpguy and CLASS3NH like this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    What does "a while" mean? If you are talking a couple of months, I wouldn't bother establishing residency. If you are talking a year or more, then there's no question that you'd be best off getting the in state DL and purchasing. Given how rare Glocks are right now, you may have a little wait anyway, although the G27 is probably going to be a little easier to find than any of the 9mm right now.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Why wait? Go down to the MVD and get your license. Takes about half an hour if they're not jammed up. Once you have your AZ DL in hand, it's just a matter of finding the gun you like and buying it.
    .45acpguy and CLASS3NH like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

There may be additional benefits to being an Arizona resident as well. Like lower state income tax.
    I have a Glock 27 and am very happy with it.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    G27. I have one.awesome piece and 40 s&w ammo is way more available than 9mm

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If you have permanently moved to AZ I don't understand why you wouldn't get your AZ license anyways, as you will need it to register and insure your car.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

First off, welcome to the forum from the MS Gulf Coast. Have lived in AZ and loved my time there.

Go for it. Might have to pay premium prices for the pistols you're considering, but I'd do it if I were you. This ain't no dress rehearsal, and you only get one shot at it (that we know of).

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

A Hearty Welcome From North Wet WA! Clearing up the questions would help provide a good answer.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah

If you moved with the intent of being a permanent resident, most states only allow 30 days to get DL and vehicle registration. Do it and move on with your purchase.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by ttrotter View Post
    Hi all, first off I just want to say I love all the information I can get from this website. This is my first post however, so dont judge me to harshly! Okay, so I moved to Arizona from Delaware a few weeks ago, and I live in a not so safe neighborhood. I've been around handguns for a few years and love to go to the range and shoot them. I'm looking into getting my own handgun (either a glock g19 or g27). I know you must have an Arizona drivers license to be able to purchase from an FFL. I'm not going back to the east coast for a while, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get my Arizona ID or wait until I get home. Or if their is another option that I just don't know about. Any advice would be awesome!
    Cheers
    Sorry for the vague first post. I moved out here about a month ago to try something different from the east coast. I'll be out here for the next 3 years, but I'm going back to Delaware for a few months this summer. I will most likely be getting an arizona drivers license in the next few months, but I will be in Delaware in late march for a reunion. So i'm just a little confused as to if I should wait until I get my ARizona ID or get the gun in Delaware and fly it back out here. It's all just a matter of timing and I'm a little confused
    Also as a side note; for ccw (I'm 6', 180 lbs) Glock g19 or g27? Any thoughts?

You are going to be living in AZ get the license now. Purchase a G19 right after you get your new license. What part of AZ are you in?

Trotter, welcome to the boards! I too am 6'0 180, and have carried a G19 in the past and currently a G26, either will do you nicely. Keep in mind many find the recoil of .40 in a subcompact to be too snappy, but it may be different for you. If you do get the 27, you can buy a 9mm barrel and shoot 9x19 out of it as well, so bear that in mind. Also something to keep in mind if you are traveling on the east coast, many states there are not gun friendly and some have 10 round mag limits. If you had the G27, you could carry it to those states in it's 10 round configuration but would be able to carry larger magazines from the compact and full size Glocks.

My personal advice? Get your DL and a gun ASAP! Could save your life, my friend. I absolutely refuse to be without at least one handgun available to me. I love Glocks, and if you just had 1 pistol, a G26/19 should be it. But don't get too caught up in the Glock kool aid...lots of great guns out there. Check out the XDm, M&P, Sig 2022, or a handful of others. Happy hunting!

Out in tempe about 2 miles from the ASU campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrotter View Post
    Sorry for the vague first post. I moved out here about a month ago to try something different from the east coast. I'll be out here for the next 3 years, but I'm going back to Delaware for a few months this summer. I will most likely be getting an arizona drivers license in the next few months, but I will be in Delaware in late march for a reunion. So i'm just a little confused as to if I should wait until I get my ARizona ID or get the gun in Delaware and fly it back out here. It's all just a matter of timing and I'm a little confused
    Also as a side note; for ccw (I'm 6', 180 lbs) Glock g19 or g27? Any thoughts?
    Welcome to the Forum!! NOW...Go get your Arizona DL and get to gettin your first handgun.... Don't pass up the G23 or the G26 if you see one. ANY Gen glock 1, 2, or 3rd gen Glock is a find. A 36 in 45ACP (not GAP) is good too.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links