Hunting shotguns? - Page 2

Hunting shotguns?

This is a discussion on Hunting shotguns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man you guys are killing me with this Benelli thing, I would love to have a Benelli but couldn't afford one . I looked and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hunting shotguns?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Man you guys are killing me with this Benelli thing, I would love to have a Benelli but couldn't afford one . I looked and looked and ended up getting a CZ 912, it may not be a Benelli but it works for me.

VIP Member
    My two turkey guns are a Mossberg 500(pump), and a Remington 11-87(semi),
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    I killed my first gobbler with an 870 20 gauge. I'd stay w 12 if I were you but the 870 is a fine, functional, working mans gun and it works. I now have 5 ... Well I did before the boating accident.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

There are SO MANY MODELS of 870 and 500 it's stupid......

What barrel length should I be looking at? I know that an 18 or 18.5 inch is generally accepted for HD, but would that cut it for hunting? Also, I have read a lot about chokes. How difficult is it to replace, or modify, the chokes on these things?

For turkeys and waterfowl, 12 gauge is the way to go. Hunting upland birds where you do a lot of walking, especially in cover where you'll rarely pop a bird past 25 yards, I'd take a hard look at a 20 gauge. That pound you'll save will make a big difference by the end of the day.

As far as which model, get the best you can afford, keeping mind the intended purpose. By that I mean if you're shooting ducks from a john boat in a salt water cove, I might not get a high-end double gun. But for repeaters, I'd be hard-pressed to not get an autoloader. The current offerings are better than ever with improved materials and features over what was offered even 10 years ago.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Hunting shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    There are SO MANY MODELS of 870 and 500 it's stupid......

What barrel length should I be looking at? I know that an 18 or 18.5 inch is generally accepted for HD, but would that cut it for hunting? Also, I have read a lot about chokes. How difficult is it to replace, or modify, the chokes on these things?
    24-28" is really optimum for hunting. You can get by with hunting with a 18" barrel , but it's far from ideal. Chokes take less than a minute to change.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    What barrel length should I be looking at?
    Get whatever is available or suits your current needs. Hunting barrels are best if they are 28" long. You can buy replacement barrels from Remington or you could upgrade to a Hastings barrel. Extra barrels will set you back $200-$400.

Cabela's: Remington® 870 Replacement Shotgun Barrels
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    24-28" is really optimum for hunting. You can get by with hunting with a 18" barrel , but it's far from ideal. Chokes take less than a minute to change.
    ^YEP^^^^^^^^^

With 26&28 being ideal.
    You have to make sure the barrel accepts screw in chokes, and are as simple to screw in and out as a light bulb , and you really don't need a "turkey choke" as myself and some friends have proven that Full and X fulls will keep it where you want it with regards to shot patterns out to 45yards with 3 & 3.5 inch shells.
    Turkey chokes can get expensive &50 on the low end), while most full, x-full chokes for 12 gauges will run from $12-35.
    For 20 gauge, your chokes may prove harder to find locally.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Well I have to throw in my .02.

My dad, stepbrother and I all shot 20ga semi autos ... upland birds and rabbits were table food back in the '50 / '60's.
    As well as anything else that was in season that we might run across. Dad was "the man" and got a Turkey on the wing
    as well as a Pheasant. Step brother got a duck. Quail getting up would scare the beejeebers out of me but I managed to
    down some.

I inherited Dad's Rem Sportsman, not sure if they still make it, you couldn't buy that gun from me. I get it out occasionally,
    run a patch of Hoppes through the barrel and wipe er down. Don't sell the 20ga short for an all around hunting shotgun.

Oh, almost forgot , has a "Poly Choke", just twist it, didn't have to change tubes. Usually set it in Modified Choke, might
    screw it down to Full when we went after some Swamp Rabbits, man those things were bigger than our Beagles.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Of the 2 guns mentioned I would get the 870, load her up with some high brass 6's and a full choke and go hunting. That said, the Mossberg aint a bad shotgun either!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Re: Hunting shotguns?

I'm probably gonna get an 870, replace the stock and forearm with synthetics and get a longer barrel for hunting. Keep the 18 incher for hd.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    If you are going to carry it all day I like the 20GA 870. But I would rather shoot a turkey with a 12GA. Either way I would go with the 870. You will have to decide on the size. I don't think you will need the 12ga 3" magnum. You can just choose between the 20 and 12 (2 3/4). I shot more animals with my 20 ga than the 12. My 12 ga is a 1100 Rem so it is heavy compared to the pump 870. My hunting involves lots of walking and I would rather carry the lighter 20 gun and shells.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Don't forget the Benelli Super Nova for the pumps! I have an 870 and the Super Nova and it is a very nice 3 1/2 inch chamber shotgun and has the ability to eject the round from the chamber without emptying the magazine in the field. Has functioned flawlessly for me with numerous loads and also accepts your beretta choke tubes! 400 bucks I paid. There is nothing wrong with the tried and true 870 at all, but when it comes to shooting all day and ergonomics, there is no comparison. I shot a couple rounds of skeet with 3 1/2's in the Benelli and you would have thought they were 2 3/4 rounds. It's worth a look.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    While I have an 870 for my home defense gun, I would suggest you take a look at the Browning pump shotgun. I've had mine for about 15 years and it has been a great hunting gun. It has an ambidextrous safety that is very easy to access (unlike the remington) and it also has bottom ejection. For turkey I would definitely stick with a 12 gauge and probably go with a 26" or 28" barrel.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I got a rem 870 express combo 12 ga. the rifled barrel came with a scope that apparently can send a slug 200 yards out accurately. Although I have not been able to test this as sabots are to rich for my blood atm $15 for 5 rounds, so I'm not saying yes or no its just what the guy at the counter said. Now it also has a smooth bore barrel which anything can go through. Stick with a 12 ga for sure, you can get less hot loads if the kick bothers you. As far as what you are hunting you can find plenty of ammo for specific game. Typically it will say on the box what you can hunt with that ammo. As you gain experience you will know based on shot size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links