Hunting shotguns?

This is a discussion on Hunting shotguns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by icemanls2 I shot a couple rounds of skeet with 3 1/2's in the Benelli and you would have thought they were 2 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hunting shotguns?

Hunting shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by icemanls2 View Post
    I shot a couple rounds of skeet with 3 1/2's in the Benelli and you would have thought they were 2 3/4 rounds. It's worth a look.
    There's no doubt the Nova is a decent gun... but sorry amigo, I'm calling BS on this statement.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    If Your heart is set on a pump then buy a pump, the 870 is made a little better I hear a lot of complants about the Mossbergs plastic tang mounted saftey breaking. The Remington 870 always comes up to my shoulder square & quickly sights. Both guns will sure get the turkey killed just what feels the best for you.

Dont worry about magazine capacity. One shot. One shot has to be ones mindset when hunting.

Good luck with the turkey gun quest. Good luck with the hunt.

...I buy Winchester 120 or 1200 pumps..."adjust" the barrel length...but for hunting a 28" full choke oughta do most jobs...other barrels can be bought...you'll find the 120 and 1200 smooth and slick...reliable and in the used/pawn shops $200-350...you won't likely wear it out....I wouldn't pay new money for a newer gun if I were a millionaire...
    ...12 ga if you're only buying one...

12 gauge all the way. Of the two guns you mentioned I'd get the Remington. It is a step up in money but I would recommend a Browning, Beretta, or Beneli. I used to shoot alot of trap and skeet and I know for fact Brownings come with overbored barrels which make them pattern better and you can get Berettas and Benelis like that. Feel free to message me.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

For turkey.... 12 GA. The question is will you use reg sights or an optic. If you use reg sights, get a mossberg... if you want to use an optic sight get a remington. I own one of each. Mossberg uses a top mounted safety which can be difficult to use with some optical sights. Remington uses a crossbolt safety, like many rifles. either way you wont be dissappointed.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If its just down to 12 or 20 ga, Look at ammo catalogs. You will find at least 5 times as many different loads for the 12 as the 20 ga. Look at slug choices, buck shot, coyote loads and HD loads. One thing the pump will do that a Semi auto wont is shoot reduced power loads. For an all around gun Id get the long barreled pump first and then look for a short barrel. For century's people have been defending their homes with long barrels. Its only recently that short barrels have come into fashion. They are only really helpful in clearing rooms, or buildings. Good luck DR

I will probably swap the foregrip and stock. Any suggestions?

Ive been looking at the Blackhawk knoxx talon, magpul and mesa tactical urbino.

Naturally, I do intend to get it in synthetic as it would be MUCH easier to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    There's no doubt the Nova is a decent gun... but sorry amigo, I'm calling BS on this statement.

Remind me to post the video of My godson, his dad and I! I'll look for it tonight. Keep ya posted
    I was merely trying to say with that statement that it is a mild recoiling shotgun compared to others I have shot which is alot! Ok OK, it's like a 3 inch. lol

Hunting shotguns?

I have no doubt that it can be done. I'm just saying..... Saying that shooting skeet with 3 1/2" shells is somehow just as comfortable as target loads out of a pump shotgun is a bit outlandish
    icemanls2 likes this.

Shotguns are great for hunting anything really. With rifled slugs they are damn near as accurate as most rifles out to 500-600 yards pretty easy. There is a reason shotguns are considered the best general purpose gun to have. That if you could only have one gun in the entire world, it would be a reliable 12ga pump.

As I stated earlier, turkey hunting is my season of choice and in PA, you can hunt all day in the fall but only until noon in the spring. A couple of answers to your question suggested 20 ga. over the 12 ga. because of the added weight. A turkey gun is almost entirely carried over the shoulder with a sling, rarely are you fortunate enough to jump one and take a wing shot and if so, hitting one in flight in the kill area, which is the head and neck, is not the easiest thing to do. Most guys who take that shot only wound the bird and both lose. And since a turkey gun is usually carried over the shoulder with a sling, a short barrel is a wise choice, especially when hunting in areas with thick cover. I used to carry a 30" and it was always getting caught in the brush. As I stated earlier, I won a NWTF Win. 1300 Turkey Gun, it is camo, 12 ga., short barrel, pump, with a sling and is chambered for 3" mags. One person wrote saying you don't need to shoot mags, BULL! I would not want to take a 30-40 yd. shot at a 20lb gobbler with anything less.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links