Hunting shotguns?

Hunting shotguns?

This is a discussion on Hunting shotguns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this is a strange place to make this kind of post, but I figure that most of you have WAY more experience than ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hunting shotguns?

Hunting shotguns?

I know this is a strange place to make this kind of post, but I figure that most of you have WAY more experience than I do when it comes to shotguns, which is 0.0000%.

My father, who is MUCH newer to firearms than I am, wants to go turkey hunting on his property in Tennessee. Having done much research to that end, the argument is between 20 gauge and 12 gauge. Also, being my first shotgun, most people recommend the Mossberg 500 and Remingtong 870, which come in both gauges.

How, my question to you is this: Which shotgun would you purchase? Of course, this doesn't mean you have to stick with the aforementioned brands or gauges. However, this shotgun will be relegated to HD, fowl hunting (turkey, duck, dove, etc), and sport shooting. I don't like to buy uni-taskers. To that end, what would be a good first shotgun to buy?

My hunting gun is a Benelli Super Black Eagle. 12ga. 3 1/2in chamber. Good for anything from skeet/trap to dove to geese to turkey. Good all around gun. Used to compete with it before I got my Citori and my BT-99. Well over 100,000 shells through it and the only time I ever had a malfunction was when I was using reloads with a super light load mainly because I wanted to see how light I could go before a malfunction. It was something like 3/4 oz of #8 shot and I can't remember the powder. I also have a 20ga. 870, but I haven't used that in years.

You have to decide if he wants a pump, semi auto, or over/under type gun.

12 gauge if you want to shoot turkey, plus it can be used for a lot more. 20 gauge is lighter, has less kick and less shot and is frequently used for more sporting challenges shooting smaller birds.

Re: Hunting shotguns?

The gun is for me. I have shot scatterguns before, so I didn't have much choice as it was a borrowed 16 gauge bolt action. Kind of leaning toward pumps.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I have killed several wild turkeys on my property with a single barrel 12 gauge full choke. Aim for the head. I have also killed deer, squirrel, and rabbits with this same shotgun. The only time I ever think of a needed a follow up shot is when dove hunting which I don't do.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Shotguns have recoil like any other gun. Turkey loads tends to be high powered loads and will produce even more recoil. Recoil is a cummulitave thing that eventually will produce flenching. That being said, I strongly recommend a gas operating gun like a Beretta. It will do everything you want to do with much less felt recoil than most guns on the market. This comes from years of Spoting Clays competition firing thousands of rounds a year. Good luck with your choice and enjoy!
    surefire7 likes this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hunting shotguns?

Remington 870 in 12 guage, hands down. I know an 870 and a Mossturd 500 are in the same price range category, but in my opinion the 870 is a much more comfortable and ergonomic weapon for the money. An 870 ought to be the official "first" shotgun.

I am a wing shooter almost exclusively, and wouldn't trade my Berettas for anything else. But I learned on an 870 just like everyone else..... It still gets the job done for a fraction of the price.

When I was down to a choice between the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 I went with the Mossberg. I didn't care for the Remington's crossbolt safety. You might try both and se if it makes a difference to you (it almost certainly will if you are a lefty). Otherwise it was just about a toss-up.

My first shotgun was a Winchester X2 in 12 ga. Could/can shoot that gun all day. Never owned a pump, have had O/U's also.
    NRA Life Member

I love my Super Black Eagle and Citori but I still swing my 870 a lot I would start with the 870 cant go wrong

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 are both fine shotguns for turkey. Nothing smaller than a 3-1/2" 12ga. Turkeys are very hard to kill and they must be close, within 30 yds max. Make sure the shotgun has "screw in" chokes so that you can buy either extra full or a turkey choke, this is important.

I have hunted turkeys for over 30 yrs and trust me, sometimes this isnt enough to drop a big bird. Always aim for the head and never shoot at a bird in full strut. Chirp at the bird if he's in full strut, this should bring his feathers down. Headshots only!
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I own a Benelli Super Black Eagle 12ga for bird hunting (including turkeys) and another Benelli for home defense (M3 Tactical, which is both a semi-auto and a pump 12 gauge shotgun. (Who would have thunk it?) LOL

Beautiful thing about the Benelli is the lack of felt recoil, due to the innovative gas system the gun makers use. Can shoot it all day and not feel the pain of a 12 gauge shoulder.

For your purposes however, you probably want a Remington 870, as you can set it up with a longer barrel for Turkey, then change barrels for home defense. Ideal for your use, and very, very reliable. Most police departments in the country use them, and that should tell you something.

Good luck.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

So, from a pricing perspective, I have seen shotguns range just like any other gun.

I dont have the upwards of 1000 dollars to spend on a benelli, although eventually, I will want one. They are VERY pretty.

The Remingtons come in most every shape and size, as do mossbergs. From what I've seen, both the 870's and 500's have UBER aftermarket parts I can modify with. I find the Remington a little easier to hold and work than the mossberg however...

So now, its a debate between the Express, Express Tactical, and Express Police. I don't really have the scratch for a wingmaster, although they too are very pretty.

I've been successfully hunting turkeys for more years than I can remember with nothing fancier than a 12 ga. pump. Several years ago, I won a Win. 1300 Turkey Gun, bought a spec. choke which is probably equiv. to a double extra full and have never needed more than one shot. Of course, the key is to call them in to 40 yds. or less. However, with that choke, I did luck out and kill one at 70 yds. This past Christmas, I bought the grandson a Mossberg 835 which is chambered for 3 1/2" and comes with extra full, improved, and modified chokes. I really like this gun, if I had to buy another turkey gun for myself, it would be this one. And, they are reasonably priced. Now, to answer your question, 20 vs 12, I called my nephew's 1st turkey into him when he was 12, he shot it with a 20 ga at fairly close range but that doesn't happen all that often. 12 ga. is, without question, the gun of choice.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    So, from a pricing perspective, I have seen shotguns range just like any other gun.

So now, its a debate between the Express, Express Tactical, and Express Police. I don't really have the scratch for a wingmaster, although they too are very pretty.
    All of the Rem 870's use the same receiver and function the same. If it were me, I would go for the 870 Express. It will have a matte black finish and composite stock and fore end. Turkeys see color, the matte black finish will help conceal the gun and not "shine" if the sun hits it. This is also useful for HD. Save the cash and buy home defense accessories if need be.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links