5 things harder to buy than guns

This is a discussion on 5 things harder to buy than guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 5 things harder to buy than guns - Slide Show - MarketWatch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 5 things harder to buy than guns

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Who ever made that up must have been very young, at my age if I want to buy a beer they don’t even ask for ID. And somewhat of a yes on the Sudafed, unlike voting you do have to show an ID.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I guess I missed the constitutional amendment that guarantees the right of the people to buy Sudafed shall not be infringed. The author of this article is grasping at straws here.

The part about Sudafed is true! I've gotten Sudafed from other states (legally of course) because it's so hard to get here, never had to do that to get a gun. Several of my local pharmacies lost my business over that BS.

Puppies are not hard to get though, unless you're adopting from certain shelters.
    We only need a DL to get a hunting/fishing license.
    It's a joke to say that 18-year olds have any trouble getting booze.
    I don't think a credit check for a cell phone is the same as a background check, they don't seem comparable. You can be broke or rich and still be a felon.

How about this? I have a SLIGHTLY more than min wage job that only requires a GED - for which I had to get a credit check AND a background check.

Article is full of BS. The cell phone comparison does not apply. Nor does the puppy purchase.
    As for the cold medicine if you're buying one box for an actual cold, in my town, you show an ID and sign your name.
    Pretty left wing. 91% of home gun owners do not support Obama's national database and in Texas at a gunshow you do get a background check.
    Only private sales do not need one. And they should.

Distinguished Member
    So they are comparing a private sale of a firearm to the purchase of those other items from a retail store. Seems like a bogus comparison to me. Is there a law regulating private sales of sudafed or puppies?

Babies are hard to buy. But too easy to make, they should make that harder. Plenty of people who have them that should have to register first.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

As someone who has bought all of those but one in the past 6 months... I call BS on the report. In Michigan, they run a background check at the gun shop while you finish filling out the paperwork. Total time is about 10 - 15 min. I provided them with my driver's licence and SS number (to simplify the background check)

When I upgraded to an iPhone this summer, it took 5 minutes.
    When I bought beer on Monday night, it took 2 minutes... and I was carded.
    When I bought a fishing licence, it would have been 2 minutes, but the 70 year old guy could not read my driver's license.
    When I bought cold medicine, it took 2 minutes because they just had to record my driver's license number.

Buying a dog might be harder... but it should be.

No Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Article is full of BS. The cell phone comparison does not apply. Nor does the puppy purchase.
    As for the cold medicine if you're buying one box for an actual cold, in my town, you show an ID and sign your name.
    Pretty left wing. 91% of home gun owners do not support Obama's national database and in Texas at a gunshow you do get a background check.
    Only private sales do not need one. And they should.
    I can't agree that private sales need a background check. Smacks of a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality which is so pervasive these days.

A better idea would be to leave private sales alone and administer proper retributive punishment for lawbreakers who misuse guns. There are more than adequate numbers of gun laws already.
    phreddy, mulle46 and msgt/ret like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    The part about Sudafed is true! I've gotten Sudafed from other states (legally of course) because it's so hard to get here, never had to do that to get a gun. Several of my local pharmacies lost my business over that BS.

Puppies are not hard to get though, unless you're adopting from certain shelters.
    We only need a DL to get a hunting/fishing license.
    It's a joke to say that 18-year olds have any trouble getting booze.
    I don't think a credit check for a cell phone is the same as a background check, they don't seem comparable. You can be broke or rich and still be a felon.

How about this? I have a SLIGHTLY more than min wage job that only requires a GED - for which I had to get a credit check AND a background check.
    Yeah but you could sell that Sudafed to someone w/o a background check at a gunshow.
    In honesty, they have effectively closed the Gunshow "loophole" by sending the people to them in such numbers. Way easier to buy out of the trunk of a car than a gunshow now. Can't even get in them right now much less get to a table.

The whole point of this is that way too many guns are passing around unregistered...thats what they are afraid of. When they come to get our guns: the only ones they will know to get are the ones bought with a background check. Weren't the British marching through Lexington to get at the Militia's weapons that were massed in an armory. They got a real surprise when a few guys popped out from the trees with unregulated firearms.

AND THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE 2ND AMENDMENT

They may have to do a background check before we pick one of those dangerous assault puppies.

I have terrible sinus trouble so I live on Sudafed. Sincerely chaps my butt that I have to go to the pharmacy to stand in line to buy it now. Another case of the
    government penalizing the law abiding to try to prevent the meth dealers from acquiring all the Sudafed. Funny, I have not seen a decline in the number of
    busted meth labs in Central Florida since this law took effect. Hmmm. Sound familiar?
    Hopyard likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

In an ideal world, you'd get a free pack of Sudafed, when you buy your gun at the local Pharmacy without ANY paperwork.IMHO
    Ratpacker and zonker1986 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

5 things that are easier to buy than a legally purchased gun:

1. an illegally purchased gun
    2. cocaine
    3. marijuana
    4. prescription medication without a prescription
    5. labor performed by illegal aliens
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links