Defensive Carry banner

How many guns do you need? How many do you want? How many do you have?

32K views 89 replies 78 participants last post by  SpencerB 
#1 ·
One thing that I have noticed is there are a lot of people in here who own more than one gun. I was showing my wife a few options for my next hand gun and my next shot gun, and she poses the question “How many guns do you need.” I thought for a moment and responded that 15 or so would do. She quickly realized that I was thinking of all the crazy situations that might come up… from shooting an armed intruder with a 12 gauge pump shot gun, to shooting a bear with a 45 because he trying to break into the car when we visit family up north, to teaching the boys how to shoot with a 22 rifle, 9mm for spring & summer carry, .380 to carry while wearing shorts, 40 to carry in the winter, 30.06 for deer hunting up north in the farm fields, 308 for deer hunting in the woods, AR-15 for recreational target practice, and the list could go on.

Right now, I am at five. Four long guns (2 shot guns and 2 rifles) and one hand gun.

What about you. How many would/will you buy and how many do you currently have.

BTW, my wife then said no, 16… so she can have one too.

See less See more
#32 ·
You NEED 2 pistols for starters, reason being if some one breaks into your home or if you have to use your carry, then it becomes the property of the police department( probably with some guys initials scratched in the side for ID marks) 2 so as you are handing the one you used over, you are sliding # 2 in your holster. Now as far as wants, I want everyone I don't have and have 2 or more of some I got. Clear as mud right!!!

#36 ·
Lets see, I could probably get by with 5, so I suppose 5 is my "need" number. Those would be:

1- A .22 LR rifle, I'd be hard pressed to choose between a 10/22 w/ a threaded barrel or a Savage Mk II FV-SR with a Boyd's Stock. Either way it has to be threaded for a can.

2- A 5.56mm rifle, preferably a SBR, either an AR platform or SIG 556

3- A home defense/competition handgun, my choice is a Glock 21SF RTF2 with night sights and a aftermarket barrel for use with lead bullet handloads

4- A .38/.357 Revolver, I'd go with a Ruger SP101 DAO 2 1/4" .357

5- A .308 or .30-06 rifle, I'd probably go with a Garand so it could take on a defensive role if necessary, and because I love the Garand.

One will note I don't list a shotgun. I'm not really a shotgun guy, and while I would have one in my top ten, in the top five the shotgun, and pocket gun, get bumped.

As for what I have, a lot more than five. What I want, a lot fewer than what I have.

#37 ·
All of ours were washed over the side of our boat by a big wave.

#38 ·
How many do I need?

Two handguns, a shotgun, and an AR-15.

How many do I want?

As many as I am legally and financially able to own!

How many do I have?

Five Handguns and Five Long Guns.

#39 ·
As many as I want to, enough to satisfy my hobby, enough for now

#44 ·
I don't have any but I want 1 maybe 2, I know from reading the news that I should have 1 but if I had 1 someone would just want it so why bother. Right now I'm wanting a weapon that shoots 7.62X25 more than I want any other of the weapons that my friends let me keep for them; when they go out of town sometimes I shoot them and fondle them more than I should but then I have to give em back and I'm without a gun again. Its a lonely way of life but when they come to take my guns I won't have any.

#46 ·
I don't "need" any guns. I got along most of my life without having any. It's a hobby that I finally have time to enjoy. Ask a stamp collector how many stamps they really "need". I don't have a lot of guns. Just a couple of plinkers. The sailboat accident claimed the majority of my collection.

#49 ·
I buy guns all the time. As far the the number of guns I have, let's just say you'll need a lot more than your fingers and toes to count them all. I've gotten very creative explaining new guns to my wife. It generally goes "honey, I've had this gun for years, you just don't remember" or "I traded that old handgun for it and it only costs me $50 difference". I used to be such an honest man.

#53 ·
Were my wife ever feeble minded enough to ask that question,(how many guns do you need), the answer would be`"one is not enough, and 400 is too many".
Translation; somewhere in between.

Reactions: BugDude
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.