How many guns do you need? How many do you want? How many do you have?

This is a discussion on How many guns do you need? How many do you want? How many do you have? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One thing that I have noticed is there are a lot of people in here who own more than one gun. I was showing my ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: How many guns do you need? How many do you want? How many do you have?

One thing that I have noticed is there are a lot of people in here who own more than one gun. I was showing my wife a few options for my next hand gun and my next shot gun, and she poses the question “How many guns do you need.” I thought for a moment and responded that 15 or so would do. She quickly realized that I was thinking of all the crazy situations that might come up… from shooting an armed intruder with a 12 gauge pump shot gun, to shooting a bear with a 45 because he trying to break into the car when we visit family up north, to teaching the boys how to shoot with a 22 rifle, 9mm for spring & summer carry, .380 to carry while wearing shorts, 40 to carry in the winter, 30.06 for deer hunting up north in the farm fields, 308 for deer hunting in the woods, AR-15 for recreational target practice, and the list could go on.

Right now, I am at five. Four long guns (2 shot guns and 2 rifles) and one hand gun.

What about you. How many would/will you buy and how many do you currently have.

BTW, my wife then said no, 16… so she can have one too.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Nobody but the "Shadow" knows.........
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'll buy any gun I want that I can afford and this will continue until the day I die. How many do I currently have? One or two.. boating really is an expensive hobby.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I won’t say how many but if sarah brady looked in my safe she would faint and diane fienstein would have a screaming fit.
    niks, babarock, airslot and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I like to Dove Hunt, Deer Hunt, Predator hunt and you name it. So I have rifles for all that :) Pistols is for defense in home, car, and on me, so have plenty for that. Theres no limit for me.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

How many do you need? Well, I would say 2 handguns (one for easy carry, one for everything else) a rifle for large game (308 or 30-06, etc.) a rifle for small game (.223, 22-250, etc) maybe a rifle for self defense (AR) a plinker for practice (.22lr) and a shotgun. (12g) So that adds up to 7 guns to cover just about everything that you might NEED overall. I turned my guns into the local police department after Obama said guns are the problem though, so right now I don't need any of them.

Needing a gun is an immediate issue. I have never needed one and pray that I will never need one but should I need one I hope it is very accessible.

I have 3.
    msgt/ret likes this.

If i do happen to own one or more its top secret,lol.

Great post Sir. I remember being asked the same question, 35 years or so ago. I had sold the wife (now ex wife) on buying a Winchester 12 gauge shotgun, telling her I can squirrel hunt, bird hunt, and even deer hunt with this same gun. It worked, and I still own that Winchester 1200 with three chokes. LOL

Later in our marriage I acquired a 32 gun safe, which when we divorced was slam full, including the velcro holsters that stick to the inside panel of the door, freeing up space on the shelves. It became a point of some arguments too, as I refused to divulge the combination to her, or anyone, because that would have rendered it a steel, fireproof gun cabinet, no longer safe.

IMO, every man or woman or couple, should own at minimum a couple of defensive/carry handguns of suitable caliber, at least one battle rifle M4/AR-15/AK/or M14, at least one shotgun, at least one .22LR rifle, and at least one scoped rifle capable of harvesting big game. Beyond this basic battery, everything else is gravy.

Be safe.
    msgt/ret, MJClark and blitzburgh like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    My wife asked me that same question when I started getting back into guns.

I figured there was no sense in alarming her. I can't predict the future, so I said 'just a few'.

She's now come to accept that I'll always and forever be adding to the collection.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have more than I need, not as many as I want, but all I can afford.
    DMan, niks, MJClark and 8 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Re: How many guns do you need? How many do you want? How many do you have?

I have all I "Need", but I want more, and I have all that I need.

With that said, my wife doesn't yet have what she needs, but she doesn't want any by feels the need. So I will need to buy her at least one!
    Last edited by DMan; February 13th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Pffft. Joe Biden says all I need for self defense is a good shot gun, so I unloaded ALLLL of my pistols last week. I had so many
    I was beginning to think I really was an evil right wing extremist.

I feel better now thanks to Joe's stellar advice. Excuse me now while I go outside and hug a tree, heal the injured squirrel in the road, and give $5
    to that homeless guy hanging out on the corner every night on my way home from work. Also have to stop at the store to stock up on granola,
    fruits and other healthy edibles thanks to Mayor Bloombergs "Diets for Dummy's". Becoming a liberal is just so.....liberating. ....no more
    ammo or magazine worries, and I know the police will come to my rescue any time I need them just by dialing 911. Isn't technology grand?
    I don't need those evil guns anymore, because Joe and Barry say we live in Utopia where bad things can't happen.
    My life now has become so "uncluttered" with holsters, ammo, mags and gun cleaing kits. So much more space for my new found stained glass and pottery hobby.
    I wish I had done this years ago. I'm Freeeeeeeee.

......oh, look. Buds has new Glocks in stock. Never mind.
    msgt/ret, RickyD, hek1620 and 3 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    One thing that I have noticed is there are a lot of people in here who own more than one gun. I was showing my wife a few options for my next hand gun and my next shot gun, and she poses the question “How many guns do you need.”

BTW, my wife then said no, 16… so she can have one too.
    My daughter asked me that one time during a family get together.
    I replied that it was kind of like jewelry, it is not a matter of need but of want.
    Neither of my daughters nor my wife has brought the question up again.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    heal the injured squirrel in the road,
    NOOO let the tree rat die. They tease the dogs, dig up the flower bulbs, and throw acorns at people. Not to mention all the traffic accidents they cause by jumping out into middle of the street to scare old ladies!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links