YOUR Circle of Influence

YOUR Circle of Influence

This is a discussion on YOUR Circle of Influence within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Day in and day out, we see the news and read the articles and we wonder, "What can I do to make a difference?" Well, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: YOUR Circle of Influence

YOUR Circle of Influence

Day in and day out, we see the news and read the articles and we wonder, "What can I do to make a difference?" Well, most of us here are doing quite a bit, such as

1) Get educated on the issues, legislation, propaganda, and the facts.
    2) Write your legislators and representatives...repeatedly.
    3) Participate in gun forum discussions to expand your knowledge base
    4) Participate in anti-gun blogs to support your position

but there's one thing that we can ALL do that will have a much broader impact:

5) Be a positive role model for the people in your direct circle of influence.

I've posted numerous threads about my encounters with people at work. I laid low at first, then gradually replied low-key when asked my position, and built up to full scale soap box discussions when engaged. This approach yielded surprising results as people came to terms with the raw emotions and then started applying rational thought.

Now, I'm proud to say that people are seeking me out to tell me about things, ask me my advice, and request links and other data sources to share information with people in THEIR circle of influence. I've engaged no less than 20 other people in sending letters to their representatives. I've also influenced 8 other people to purchase firearms and get their concealed carry permits.

One guy at work (who lives about 200 yards from me) said he had a couple of old guns, and was interested in getting into it but just had not gotten around to it. Over the last couple months we've talked all about guns, laws, legislation, current news events, etc. and over the last 2 weeks he has purchased 3 revolvers, 1 semi-auto pistol, 1 AR, a shotgun, and a lever action rifle. Ironically, he says his wife is really the one that is super excited about it and pushing him. They are taking the concealed carry class together tomorrow (what a way to spend Valentine's day!!!) and have been going to the range together 3 nights a week+. They are both absolutely eat up with it!!!

I'm now seeing him engage his peers at work and he is influencing people in HIS circle of influence.

I also took my brother-in-law and nephews to the range when I visited back home a while back and really got them interested. By BIL ended up buying several pistols and got a family membership to a range near his house. Later I signed up my brother-in-law and two nephews in the NRA and paid for their memberships and all I asked in return was that they write their legislators to defend our rights. They are now paying it forward with people in their circles of influence.

Of all of the things we can do, and should do, being a positive role model of a firearms owner and influencing the people in your circle pays exponential dividends.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Yep...I try to be a pool of knowledge for my friends and family to draw from if they are interested. I give just the right push and what do you know...I got people that go to the range with me now,
    BugDude likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Excellent post all around, but I think the point where nail meets hammer is

Be a positive role model for the people in your direct circle of influence.
    People who aren't into guns or may be on the fence, look to their peers who are to get some sort of idea in one way or another. Not only should one educate their self for their self, but also to be able to educate another. One should also conduct their self with integrity and lead by an example.. besides the obvious reasons, it could be the difference between a vote for "us" or against "us".
    Ratpacker and BugDude like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Very well said, BudDude!

Great post. This is something we should have been doing all along, and some of us were. But it's more important now than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Great post. This is something we should have been doing all along, and some of us were. But it's more important now than ever.
    I whole heartedly agree. In this day and time, it matters more than ever. I'm quite confident that the majority of posters here are positive role models in their circles. What worries me the most are the people who are criminals that just haven't been caught/charged, so still have a permit, that could give us all black eyes in their circles.

Because unfortunately, there's many people who are simple minded enough to judge a group by just one person's actions, who then go on to relay their experience to their circle and so on.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've been really surprised. Some of the people that I NEVER imagined would be interested in guns have become some of the MOST enthusiastic and responsive. Conversely, some of the people I know that are into guns, go to the range, hunting, etc. have seemed to be the least interested in keeping up with the news and politics surrounding the 2A and writing legislators. You just never know how any given individual will respond until you explore the subject and frame it in appropriately.

There were a number of people at work that at first were like "No one needs assault weapons, etc." and are now in opposition to all of the proposed gun control laws. And these were a lot of people that I never directly interacted with but observed many of the conversations that were had around the lunch table with others.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who just hunt but don't carry, so they could care less about what happens as long as they can still hunt.

I've also noticed the same things in my circle.. it's "funny" how different we all are..

I've filled out the paperwork for around 10 individuals to get their license in Florida over the last couple of years that are "paperwork" challenged. I'm an accountant, so
    for me its just one more paper to get off my desk....no biggie. I have taken more acquaitances than I can count to the range that had never fired a gun before.
    Before they left the range and gun store, all but one had put money down on their first pistol (ususally one of mine they really liked). I paid for my step daughter and her husbands
    licensing class and their licenses a few years ago and gave them both identical Bersa 9mm's as a college graduation present. My youngest daughter has laid claim to my second
    Glock 19, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Ruger LCP as her very own after taking her to the range last time she was in town. She just turned 21 and is about to get her carry license
    at my insistence. She and her boyfriend go the range together. My ex-wife now carries one of my 2nd Generation Glock 19's and I paid for her license while she lived in Florida.
    I'm in the process of leading two young guys at work through the maze of concealed carry, and spend a lot of time listening to their questions and helping them with the process.
    Both are very liberal young guys, and guns are not their thing, but I'm not giving up. Their first time at the range was like a lightning bolt came down from the sky. They were stoked.

It takes very little in this environment to tune in to people that are looking for firearms related answers. I keep to myself until the time is right and then I politely open up the conversation
    with a few questions, and them proceed to find out what they are looking for and why they think they need a gun. Most want answers, and just don't know where to find them.

....and that's where we all come in. We can make a difference.
    BugDude likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I've filled out the paperwork for around 10 individuals to get their license in Florida over the last couple of years that are "paperwork" challenged. I'm an accountant, so
    for me its just one more paper to get off my desk....no biggie. I have taken more acquaitances than I can count to the range that had never fired a gun before.
    Before they left the range and gun store, all but one had put money down on their first pistol (ususally one of mine they really liked). I paid for my step daughter and her husbands
    licensing class and their licenses a few years ago and gave them both identical Bersa 9mm's as a college graduation present. My youngest daughter has laid claim to my second
    Glock 19, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Ruger LCP as her very own after taking her to the range last time she was in town. She just turned 21 and is about to get her carry license
    at my insistence. She and her boyfriend go the range together. My ex-wife now carries one of my 2nd Generation Glock 19's and I paid for her license while she lived in Florida.
    I'm in the process of leading two young guys at work through the maze of concealed carry, and spend a lot of time listening to their questions and helping them with the process.
    Both are very liberal young guys, and guns are not their thing, but I'm not giving up. Their first time at the range was like a lightning bolt came down from the sky. They were stoked.

It takes very little in this environment to tune in to people that are looking for firearms related answers. I keep to myself until the time is right and then I politely open up the conversation
    with a few questions, and them proceed to find out what they are looking for and why they think they need a gun. Most want answers, and just don't know where to find them.

....and that's where we all come in. We can make a difference.
    Outstanding!!! I really like your approach.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Great post.....knowledge is power

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I agree 100%. I have had 3-4 of my close friends purchase guns in the last year or so, all VERY shortly after going out for a day on the range with me. One of them has gotten thier carry permit, with two others saying they'll be getting thier's soon. I have encouraged ALL to join the NRA, and have purchased memberships for 2 of them, with two others getting thier own memberships.

I have some family that is slowly coming around as well, my sister, who has been very anti-gun in the house, has now decided it's time they get something.

It is all about being able to have an influence on your circle, as usual, great post Bugdude!
    zonker1986 and BugDude like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I think many of us underestimate the impact we can have just within our own circle. We don't have to be some kind of public figure out giving presentations to large crowds or posting videos on social media networks. The exponential power of one-at-a-time influence is due to the influence those people have in their circle. It also makes it real to people. It's not some obscure talking head on TV pumping sunshine or blowing smoke, it's someone they know and interact with everyday. I just want to encourage some folks and help them realize they can make a big difference without having to take drastic measures. You'll be surprised.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who just hunt but don't carry, so they could care less about what happens as long as they can still hunt.
    ....they won't care about carrying until they are the hunted.
    Only a matter of time for these Ostrich's with their heads in the sand.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Very well put BugDude, I could not have said it better. We all have influences in our life.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Day in and day out, we see the news and read the articles and we wonder, "What can I do to make a difference?" Well, most of us here are doing quite a bit, such as

1) Get educated on the issues, legislation, propaganda, and the facts.
    2) Write your legislators and representatives...repeatedly.
    3) Participate in gun forum discussions to expand your knowledge base
    4) Participate in anti-gun blogs to support your position

but there's one thing that we can ALL do that will have a much broader impact:

5) Be a positive role model for the people in your direct circle of influence.

I've posted numerous threads about my encounters with people at work. I laid low at first, then gradually replied low-key when asked my position, and built up to full scale soap box discussions when engaged. This approach yielded surprising results as people came to terms with the raw emotions and then started applying rational thought.

Now, I'm proud to say that people are seeking me out to tell me about things, ask me my advice, and request links and other data sources to share information with people in THEIR circle of influence. I've engaged no less than 20 other people in sending letters to their representatives. I've also influenced 8 other people to purchase firearms and get their concealed carry permits.

One guy at work (who lives about 200 yards from me) said he had a couple of old guns, and was interested in getting into it but just had not gotten around to it. Over the last couple months we've talked all about guns, laws, legislation, current news events, etc. and over the last 2 weeks he has purchased 3 revolvers, 1 semi-auto pistol, 1 AR, a shotgun, and a lever action rifle. Ironically, he says his wife is really the one that is super excited about it and pushing him. They are taking the concealed carry class together tomorrow (what a way to spend Valentine's day!!!) and have been going to the range together 3 nights a week+. They are both absolutely eat up with it!!!

I'm now seeing him engage his peers at work and he is influencing people in HIS circle of influence.

I also took my brother-in-law and nephews to the range when I visited back home a while back and really got them interested. By BIL ended up buying several pistols and got a family membership to a range near his house. Later I signed up my brother-in-law and two nephews in the NRA and paid for their memberships and all I asked in return was that they write their legislators to defend our rights. They are now paying it forward with people in their circles of influence.

Of all of the things we can do, and should do, being a positive role model of a firearms owner and influencing the people in your circle pays exponential dividends.
    I Love Guns!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links