Wow - Shipping Rifle

This is a discussion on Wow - Shipping Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going to ship my rifle back to the manufacturer for some work and the parcel company wanted to open the box and insure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Wow - Shipping Rifle

Wow - Shipping Rifle

I was going to ship my rifle back to the manufacturer for some work and the parcel company wanted to open the box and insure that it was not loaded, no thanks!!! Not that I am uncertain whether it is loaded or not but was imagining all sorts of unpleasant circumstances that might arise from this. I can only imagine walking into a lobby of a shipping company and seeing a rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Why are you even telling them what it is,it's not hazardous material etc. I've never had anybody want to open a box to inspect it.Did you get a shipping return label from the manufacturer,if so just package it in a plain cardboard box attach label and schedule a pickup
    Pyzik, PAPADALE1 and atctimmy like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I think the shipping companies require you notify them that it is a firearm.
    OldVet and Tzadik like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Fedex requires you to inform them of firearms. I shipped a pistol to S&W via Fedex. $88--one way! I also claimed $500 insurance value. She said for $500 she had to inspect the packing. Tore open the box and the hard case inside. I asked what value didn't require opening. $499. She should have said that first. She never looked to see if it was loaded or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The reason I say this is that whether it is going a company or not it requires a signature and I believe there are additional tracking procedures in place.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The reason I say this is that whether it is going a company or not it requires a signature and I believe there are additional tracking procedures in place.
    You can request (with Fedex at least) that they require a signature, without telling them it's a firearm. I ship documents for work all the time and most of the time we require a signature. It's just an extra box to check.

\Yes that was the case here.

I will say Fed Ex made it painless

Distinguished Member
    Shipping a long gun, ship it by U.S. Postal Service. You can do that. I didn't see any regs that said you had to notify them. I did see that you were not to write anything on it that would indicate what it is. I sent my Stevens Shotgun back to Savage Arms for work.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Its a "pellet dispenser".
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I recently sent a Pistol back to SA for repairs,they emailed a shipping label I boxed up the pistol attached the label and dropped it off at the shipping center.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wanted to get a post up while I was on lunch today but in retrospect the scene was quite comical really.

As I said before I had to to declare it was a rifle when shipping. That is right when the dysfunction started, it was apparent from then the lady I was dealing with had no clue and got a co-worker. He told her and in turn me that I had to use the computer terminal because a hand written form wasn't good enough. "OK no problem', I was about halfway through filling out the form and another fellow comes in and starts waiving around an FFL form saying that I needed one. I said something like that it was not what I saw online on the companies website this morning, he looked at me like I was n crack. I don't know why but I went back to the form on the computer and the lady said "we need to open the box to insure that it is not loaded"... In my head... ding... ding.. ding... I am thinking no damn way we are pulling out a rifle in the UPS lobby. I deleted my entry on the computer and said "I'll be back later with the proper forms", across the street to the competitor I went.

In my mind this in no way has anything to do with company policy but more the workers ignorance of it. I am sure I will send them a letter.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    You can request (with Fedex at least) that they require a signature, without telling them it's a firearm. I ship documents for work all the time and most of the time we require a signature. It's just an extra box to check.
    From Fedex website on prohibited and restricted articles:
    Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.

You have to notify them it's a firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow - Shipping Rifle

I tried to use the USPS to ship one back to the manufacturer, I look on their site and found nothing saying I couldn't. I was told I was wrong. I talked with the post master and was treated like a criminal. I went home and made some calls the higher ups with the same results. I called ups told them what I was wanting to do and if I needed to do anything special. Nope, just box it up in a plain box and bring it in. No problems at. Two weeks later it was dropped back off at my door via UPS. I told the post office I would not be shipping with them anymore because the way I was treated.

VIP Member
    Is it any wonder USPS is going down for the count?
    cmdrdredd likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links