How often do you shoot for practice and training? - Page 3

How often do you shoot for practice and training?

This is a discussion on How often do you shoot for practice and training? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is no range close to me, Im in the country and have my own setup at home. About once a week. I train nothing ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How often do you shoot for practice and training?

There is no range close to me, Im in the country and have my own setup at home. About once a week. I train nothing past 30 yards out and most much closer than that all combat SD oriented shooting. Concentrating on draw speed and rapid fire accuracy. With some movement. Ammo is short right now so I dont roar through hundreds of rounds per shoot. Just enough to see Im still with it and havent slowed down.
    Glockman10mm made a good point, draw speed etc can be worked on without firing a shot. Im working on stocking up on ammo so im not shooting it all up as fast as I get it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Once a week for sure.More if time allows

Twice a week, ever thursday and friday. For pistol practice I'll shoot about 100 rounds through my sr-22 to get warmed up. Then I usually follow up with 50 rounds from my 380 carry. "Cool down" with another 100 or so rounds of 22.

Because of the shortae of ammo, I go to the indoor range once a quarter and shoot 50 rounds. Twice a week I do dry fire drills. I practice several drills, draw and fire, moving, reloading, jam clearing drills, and weak hand drills. I have the crimson trace on my LC9 which lets me know where I am shooting. I also practice without the lazer just in case of battery, malfunction, or light problem.

I use the sites below as an aid to training:
    Dry Fire Drills
    http://personaldefensetraining.com/files/dryfire10.swf

I also get several hours of instruction weekly using youtube and "personal defense tv" dvds. Although the instructions are from trained professionals, I always take what they say with a grain of salt.
    bmcgilvray and WHEC724 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Used to go to my indoor range atleast every other week, sometimes once a week and shoot about 100 -150 rounds, almost exclusively with my EDC. And atleast once a month would get together with a group of friends and go to the outdoor range and take some rifles and other handguns, shoot who knows how many rounds.

Now I just can't bring myself to go send lead down range. I refuse to pay inflated ammo prices (not that I have a problem with it or blame them), or to stand in line and wait to get my three allowed boxes.
    I don't see a whole lot of real changes to our gun laws coming and I think ammo will be back in about 6 months, then I'll start shooting again.

Until then, lot's of dry fire practice, and think I'm going to get back into shooting my C02 pistol in the basement.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I teach, so i shoot often.

But, as one amazing gunfighter mentor once told me (I took it to heart all those years ago):

"Dry fire is where you make your money".

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    Because of the shortae of ammo, I go to the indoor range once a quarter and shoot 50 rounds. Twice a week I do dry fire drills. I practice several drills, draw and fire, moving, reloading, jam clearing drills, and weak hand drills. I have the crimson trace on my LC9 which lets me know where I am shooting. I also practice without the lazer just in case of battery, malfunction, or light problem.

I use the sites below as an aid to training:
    Dry Fire Drills
    http://personaldefensetraining.com/files/dryfire10.swf

I also get several hours of instruction weekly using youtube and "personal defense tv" dvds. Although the instructions are from trained professionals, I always take what they say with a grain of salt.

Hey! Shoot your computer screen for fun and profit!

Actually those are pretty cool sites and could come in handy.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

First of all I'm a new guy from Michigan here. Really enjoy alot of the topics on here. Pretty informative. Being a lifelong gun owner and a Navy Seal wannabe (clarification: Tried to enlist twice after fragmenting my knee into 23 pieces and being denied) I have a great vending interest in our 2nd A rights and the future for my son. Anyways ,Hello. I try to shoot as much as possible, usually at least weekly. For Christmas I bought my 6 yr old son a Rossi 410/.22 combo gun, some self healing targets and some self resetting steels. we have the ability to shoot on my property where I built a 450 yd range with appropriate backstop. Lately we have been shooting long guns at least 4 times a week. Apparently my son don't know there is a shortage, lol. My son asked me the other day if it was ok to say you love guns? I believe I have a shooting partner forever if we are allowed to still own firearms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links