How often do you shoot for practice and training?

This is a discussion on How often do you shoot for practice and training? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One common theme here is most, if not all, us of agree that practice is important. I think that it is common agreement that more ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How often do you shoot for practice and training?

One common theme here is most, if not all, us of agree that practice is important. I think that it is common agreement that more practice, if practicing the right procedures and technique, is a good thing.

But given the current price and availability of ammo, how much shooting do we actually do? Personally, I hope to get out at least one a month in the winter and twice a month in the warmer seasons and shoot 50 to 100 rounds per session, preferably with someone who is better than I am so I can learn something new every time I go out.

How often do you shoot your guns?

I usually try to get out to the range for static shooting and some "tactical" training 1 a month for both my long guns and my carry gun.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I shoot 1 or 2 times a week, usually go through at least 200 rds. each day.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Live fire at the range, once a week, 24 rounds total. Moving and drawing, 6rds angle forward right and 6 rds angle forward left. 6rds from In Quartata and 6 rds from retention. Same drills at home with air soft 5 or 6 days a week.

VIP Member
    I'm down to once or twice a month, and the decline in frequency is reflected in my abilities.

I can still get the job done, but I won't be applying for "Top Shot" anytime soon.

My wife and I have been going monthly for several years, but we're cutting back. There are times now when I can't replenish my supply of ammo. I'm getting concerned about using up my stash.

Was out last week and put about 150 rounds down range, combination of .38Sp, .40S&W and .45ACP.
    Surprised at the number there and most seemed to be re-loaders as they hurried to pick up their spent
    brass.
    I try to go at least twice a month but after learning that re-loading supplies ( bullets and primers ) are
    not to be had I'll be lucky to go once a month.

Hey WHEC724 ... I've met a shooter out at the Pauline Range that applied to Top Shot. The man was a
    marksman bar none. Enjoyed just watching him shoot.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member
    As often as I can afford it and can find ammo, which means it is getting further between times. But it would normally be about once a week.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Re: How often do you shoot for practice and training?

Usually about once every 2 weeks and shoot 50-100 rounds. Whatever I can get that day cause I don't want use up what I have.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I shoot at least once a week around 2-300 rounds of various calibers,I reload my own cast bullets so 300 rounds of centerfire pistol cost me under $20
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by tsp_2177 View Post
    Usually about once every 2 weeks and shoot 50-100 rounds. Whatever I can get that day cause I don't want use up what I have.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I shoot at least once a week around 2-300 rounds of various calibers,I reload my own cast bullets so 300 rounds of centerfire pistol cost me under $20

I need to learn to reload!

With our work schedule me and my wife go every other weekend and we both shoot about 100 to 150 rounds each. Fortunately for us our local gun shop keeps stocked up and they refuse to raise prices just to make more money!

At least once a month unless it's just too cold. Every 10 days or so when the weather is nice.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I am a new guy and working on consistency so I have been going once a week and shooting 150-200 rounds. I told my wife that since I don't play golf, fish, or gamble like a number of my buddies do, the cost of my weekly trip to the range is cheap!

Paying from $15.00 to $18.00 per box of 50rds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links