Cleaning Obsession

This is a discussion on Cleaning Obsession within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Same here! I do enjoy sitting down with some Hoppe's and getting some rags dirty....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Cleaning Obsession

Same here! I do enjoy sitting down with some Hoppe's and getting some rags dirty.

2. Remove Ads

Cleaning my weapons don't turn me on but I do enjoy cleaning them since anytime I go to the Gun Range it usually is on the spur of the moment so they have to be clean. I don't want to waste time cleaning my weapons before I go to the Gun Range since my shooting time is very limited.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Hi, my name is MJ... and I am a cleaning addict.

I find the same level of pride in a freshly cleaned dust free gun that I do in a super tight grouping at 21 feet. I don't just run the bore snake down the barrel, I break out the full kit, q-tips, plastic picks, a trusty can of pressurized air and field strip it every time I return from shooting it. I clean well beyond the recommended and wipe down every surface that I can get to, including inside the grip (where the magazine goes). I never want to run the risk of my weapon not operating at it's fullest potential because of a maintenance issue, lack of user skill, maybe, but never because I don't take care of it.

But then again, I am a bit OCD about things... like blue pens. I only sign my name in blue pen.
    AZ_Larz_NY and moonraker like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Cleaning after a range trip gives me the time to mentally review what was accomplished, or not accomplished, while at the range. My EDC and BUG are cleaned at least weekly, but most other guns are cleaned not more then quarterly or after a range trip. I do have several shotguns that have only received a wipe down after use and haven't received a real cleaning in many years but do continue to function without failure. The crude seems to add to the camouflage. LOL
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I dont know about obsession, but I strip and check my EDC every sunday evening to clean out any lint or debris, wipe it down inside and out, and ready it for another week of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I find cleaning my guns therapeutic.
    Same here. Even back when I was in the military, I found it relaxing. Don't know why, it just is.

I'm not sure if it's the cleaning I like about it or that it just gives me more time to handle and inspect them. As said, there is somthing about Hoppes that I love. It's like MSG in chinese.

I too enjoy cleaning my guns. I like to break them down , clean then put them back together. With one exception, my ruger mk III. I have vowed to never take that gun down again. The last time I had to have help to get it back together and as far as I am concerned it will get a wipe down and a bore brush but never come apart again.

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    There's nothing that beats a successful day of shooting, but like all good things there must be an end. But does it really have to end after the last round is fired? For me personally I have equal anticipation to race home and bust out cleaning supplies as I had on the way out to the range. Call it a cleaning obsession, a ritual. A way to extend the experience after my weekly ammo allowance is expended. The joy of sitting back in my chair and turning on my favorite Pandora station. You can't buy this sort of peace with therapy. What I would like to know is if there is anyone else out there who enjoys a cleaning ritual of their own. I know a lot of people that despise the process of cleaning their firearms so I wonder, which is the minority?
    I enjoy it and clean and lube my handguns once a month whether they need it or not. I am not OC about doing it, but I am OC about doing it right when I do. However, my wife hates the smell of Hoppe's so I have to do it when she's out of the house in the winter. Otherwise I do it out on my back deck; gives me another hour or so of enjoying nature.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I field strip & throughly clean every weapon after shooting (all are fired at least twice a month). To me, it's relaxing and therapeutic. The bonus is that it lets me inspect them all for wear.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I love claening them up too. Reminds me of childhood and my dad teaching me. We had great talks while cleaning our guns in the shop away from my mom and sisters lol. I recently bought my fiance a gun and she stated she loves to shoot but wants nthing to do with getting "that gross oil" all over her hands. Im glad I have another gun to clen to me it is theraputic as well.

I love to clean my guns also. I don't always do it as soon as I get back from the range, but within the week I do get it done. Out on my bench, music on, sit and relax and make everything nice and pretty. LOL!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The last time I actually had "fun" cleaning guns was way back when in SC after the Sunday morning deer drives when everyone sat around the hunting club (shack) and drank whisky and beer, smoked big stogies, and bragged about the hunting success (or failures!). I was too young for the whisky and beer, didn't care for the stogies, but the "atmosphere" was memorable.
    atctimmy and moonraker like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As a (retired) career soldier, I clean my guns (try not to call them weapons anymore) almost obsessively. Back in 2010 while hunting with writer and hunting show host Greg Rodriguez in Texas, he commented that military guys always over clean their hunting rifles. Now he loves us vets, but I suppose he is right when it comes to a deer rile. However, a clean rifle, pistol or machine gun has never let me down. Just saying.

I don't consider the range day over til I have cleaned my weapons. I make it a point to clean my weapons at least once a week or just do a general wipe down. I love cleaning my weapons too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links