Cleaning Obsession

This is a discussion on Cleaning Obsession within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SF18F As a (retired) career soldier, I clean my guns (try not to call them weapons anymore) almost obsessively. Back in 2010 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Cleaning Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by SF18F View Post
    As a (retired) career soldier, I clean my guns (try not to call them weapons anymore) almost obsessively. Back in 2010 while hunting with writer and hunting show host Greg Rodriguez in Texas, he commented that military guys always over clean their hunting rifles. Now he loves us vets, but I suppose he is right when it comes to a deer rile. However, a clean rifle, pistol or machine gun has never let me down. Just saying.
    Honestly in modern times we did over clean our Weapons. The M4 barrel only needs cleaning over 500 round in most cases. The BCG just needs the carbon knocked off and the weapon lube to be 100% effective. It has been clearly shown that over cleaning the barrel causes more damage than shooting it.
    Old habits die hard. If you putting the weapon away for some time by all means give it a good cleaning but if you use it often it is not as big a deal as it some make it out to be.
    And you don't need the fancy oils and cleaners either Simple old CLP works prefect.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SF18F View Post
    As a (retired) career soldier, I clean my guns (try not to call them weapons anymore) almost obsessively. Back in 2010 while hunting with writer and hunting show host Greg Rodriguez in Texas, he commented that military guys always over clean their hunting rifles. Now he loves us vets, but I suppose he is right when it comes to a deer rile. However, a clean rifle, pistol or machine gun has never let me down. Just saying.
    Honestly in modern times we did over clean our Weapons. The M4 barrel only needs cleaning over 500 round in most cases. The BCG just needs the carbon knocked off and the weapon lube to be 100% effective. It has been clearly shown that over cleaning the barrel causes more damage than shooting it.
    Old habits die hard. If you putting the weapon away for some time by all means give it a good cleaning but if you use it often it is not as big a deal as it some make it out to be.
    And you don't need the fancy oils and cleaners either Simple old CLP works prefect.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I hear what you're saying. However, my caveat would be the conditions we experienced in Iraq. Even when we didn't fire our weapons cleaning was required after every assault due to the dusty conditions. I've never had a weapon fail due to over cleaning. But yes, I am a fan of CLP.

Distinguished Member
    I feel I'm in the minority of gun owners on this one, I don't enjoy cleaning my guns. To me its a chore to be done after a fun time shooting, like cleaning up the mess after a party. I don't always clean right after a range trip either, I haven't found the gun to come any less clean a few days later.

I think some people are a bit obsessive, especially about thinking a gun has to be prestine to function. I wish I enjoyed it as much as everybody, and I will say I do feel good after cleaning a gun and putting it away nice and clean and oiled, but getting it there is not one of my favorite things. Oh well, guess I'll be one of the slobs with a couple of dirty guns every now and then.
    tony1990 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

...you may have Marine in your genes...
    ...or you may confuse the terms fondling and cleaning...

...seriously...it makes good sense to take excellent care of the machinery that may be called on to save your life one day...how clean is too clean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    There's nothing that beats a successful day of shooting, but like all good things there must be an end. But does it really have to end after the last round is fired? For me personally I have equal anticipation to race home and bust out cleaning supplies as I had on the way out to the range. Call it a cleaning obsession, a ritual. A way to extend the experience after my weekly ammo allowance is expended. The joy of sitting back in my chair and turning on my favorite Pandora station. You can't buy this sort of peace with therapy. What I would like to know is if there is anyone else out there who enjoys a cleaning ritual of their own. I know a lot of people that despise the process of cleaning their firearms so I wonder, which is the minority?

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I feel I'm in the minority of gun owners on this one, I don't enjoy cleaning my guns. To me its a chore to be done after a fun time shooting, like cleaning up the mess after a party. I don't always clean right after a range trip either, I haven't found the gun to come any less clean a few days later.

I think some people are a bit obsessive, especially about thinking a gun has to be prestine to function. I wish I enjoyed it as much as everybody, and I will say I do feel good after cleaning a gun and putting it away nice and clean and oiled, but getting it there is not one of my favorite things. Oh well, guess I'll be one of the slobs with a couple of dirty guns every now and then.
    You are probably in the majority of gun owners. The good news is that your gun will most likely work without regular maintenance. If you only use your guns for sport it really doesn't matter if they shoot every time you pull the trigger. I choose to carry a gun every day just in case the one in a thousand years life threatening event happens to my family and I am present to effect the outcome. To me, my gun is a piece of safety equipment just as is the seat belt in my car. I've never needed the seat belt, nor the air bags, but they are with me everyday. If my car is prepared for a life threatening event, should't I?

Re: Cleaning Obsession

There was a guy at the range cleaning his hunting rifle like every 3-4 shots yesterday. Think that's a little over board lol I need to clean my two rifles. My. 270 has like 40 shots and my 10-22 has like 300 or so without cleaning lol. I usually clean my handguns after every range shoot since I carry them. My rifles may be every 2-3 range visits though. I want to see if it will keep a zero after a couple of shots in case I don't clean it everytime hunting then have to go re zero it

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tsp_2177 View Post
    There was a guy at the range cleaning his hunting rifle like every 3-4 shots yesterday. Think that's a little over board lol I need to clean my two rifles. My. 270 has like 40 shots and my 10-22 has like 300 or so without cleaning lol. I usually clean my handguns after every range shoot since I carry them. My rifles may be every 2-3 range visits though. I want to see if it will keep a zero after a couple of shots in case I don't clean it everytime hunting then have to go re zero it

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    He was probably following the old, and now pretty much discredited, "breaking in" procedure for a new rifle.

Don't worry your gun will still love you even if you don't enjoy cleaning her just as long as you clean her.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

BAC
    I love shooting. I hate cleaning. I compromise by field stripping, wiping down parts, and lubing. My 1911 went 2-3k rounds between cleanings, Glock went 3-4k rounds, 15-22 over 2k before I lost the round count, etc. The only firearm that gets honest TLC is my ol' Mauser.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'm fastidious in cleaning my firearms as mentioned in another thread currently running on gun cleaning. I don't much enjoy the cleaning process though and never have. It's just a burdensome chore to accomplish.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Clean them after a round at the range. I have several, so usually a round of 100 or so does not make much of a mess. I do not run russian ammo, that stuff is certainly messy.

Yup, put me in the clean freak column. I enjoy the smell of Hoppes, the fun of taking something apart and putting it back again as well as the awesome human ingenuity that goes into the engineering of a gun. I also like cleaning violins like the one in my avatar. We're actually not supposed to use any harsh polish on the varnish more than a few times a year, and that's hard because I like to shine it up good. Violins are kind amazing if you think about it: what else do we use in life that is as intricate as a violin but has changed only slightly in almost 500 years and individual examples that are 300 years old work as well or better than the day they were made?

Oops, sorry, tangent alert!

Yes, I like to clean my guns after every trip to the range. I like to think about how each trip went and if it is a defensive weapon, I contemplate under what circumstances I may ever need it to save a life (or lives). Yeah, I talk to my violin and my car, too. Oh, and I talk to the deer as I'm driving. It keeps me mindful of them (Hey, before you laugh, I've never hit one yet in like a bazillion miles). Hmmm, I should probably keep quiet about talking to the deer. I hope that won't disqualify me for firearms ownership under the new regime. Ugh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links